• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need recommendation for water pump

Mach1Mark

Ramrod extraordinaire
Donator
Im still engineering the accessory drive system on my 65 coupe. Im going to modify my two serp belt CVF Racing system into a single belt. Soooo . . . to make that work I need a 351W water pump with the inlet on the driver side, reverse rotating and short. I currently have the Ford Racing shorty but it rotates clockwise. Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Might pay to check with the seller to see if they have the shortie.
I like how you think. I’ve been researching water pumps and it seems like straight vane impellers can push water revolving either direction. My current shorty pump has straight vanes and a bi-directional case. I think it will work if I run the belt to cause the pump to spin reverse. I’ve gotten my CVF Racing parts back from the machinist so I will be installing them tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1F879CC1-9065-4975-A9D7-BCD723A84A5B.jpeg
    1F879CC1-9065-4975-A9D7-BCD723A84A5B.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 12
The big question is will my water pump push water if I run the belt to make it spin reverse. I am going to seek out a Subject Matter Expert on fluid dynamics and pose my question. The other option is to have a reverse flow impeller fitted on my shorty water pump.

Last edited:
I would change out the impeller as it is a simple fix.

But you can try the belt option. Easy to tell if it's pumping.

Back