• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need some steering parts advice

Starfury

Background: I have an early 67fb with the 19:1 box with long input shaft and 1" sector shaft. EPAS is on the horizon, although not around the corner. I'm aware that EPAS has a kit that will work with my box and column, however that leaves me with the 19:1 5-turn steering.

A 68-70 short shaft 16:1 box with 1-1/8" sector shaft has popped up for sale locally for dirt cheap. I'm trying to decide if this is worth picking up and putting on the shelf.
This box would require changing the pitman arm, which isn't a big deal, but I'm unsure how the EPAS steering kit would mate up between the short shaft box and my long shaft steering column. I assume I'd have to cut the old long input shaft for the conversion.

Another alternative would be to pick up the Borgeson short shaft 14:1 box and use that for the conversion. Better ratio, and I'd keep the pitman arm, but the box is $400 more expensive. Same issue with the steering column conversion as the local box, plus I'd have to loop a hose for the unused pressure lines.

Thoughts? Opinions? Alternatives?

To my knowledge. 19:1 steering ratio is only for steeringbox manual steering.
16:1 ratio for power steering boxes.
EPAS is somehow difficult to install but gives you a cleaner engine compartment , adjustible sensitivity of steering imput/steeringwheel and...no leaks under the car.
Borgeson is a bit easier to install , better ratio of 14:1 and thereby better roadfeel.
Mike does have epas in his car.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

To my knowledge. 19:1 steering ratio is only for steeringbox manual steering.
16:1 ratio for power steering boxes.
EPAS is somehow difficult to install but gives you a cleaner engine compartment , adjustible sensitivity of steering imput/steeringwheel and...no leaks under the car.
Borgeson is a bit easier to install , better ratio of 14:1 and thereby better roadfeel.
Mike does have epas in his car.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk
Yes, this isn't a question of which system to install, just which box to use for the inevitable EPAS install.

To my knowledge the 16:1 mustang steering box cause you can't use the borgeson box with its integral hydraulic support.

With the added "muscle" of the electric assist motor I'd wager you could use a hydraulic box without the fluid system. I just don't think the ratio difference would matter that much in everyday driving with power assist.

Get a manual steering early 67 box. I have an extra. Not sure of the ratio.

Mel

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

My 66 had a manual 16:1 ratio, for the record. Wasn't that bad unless you were at a dead stop.

Get a manual steering early 67 box. I have an extra. Not sure of the ratio.

Mel

I believe all manual boxes except Shelby cars were 19:1.

I already have a manual steering box in the car. When I go EPAS, I'm not going to want the 5-turn box.

Well, I realized that not only would I need a new pitman arm if I converted to the late style gearbox, I'd need a new centerlink as well. The late 67+ pitman is not compatible with the early 67 centerlink. Probably not worth the added cost or headache, as the differences probably domino out from there.

I'm probably going to have to find a 16:1 early-67 box. On the upside, I'd have it out of the car to cut it for the EPAS kit...

Well, I realized that not only would I need a new pitman arm if I converted to the late style gearbox, I'd need a new centerlink as well. The late 67+ pitman is not compatible with the early 67 centerlink. Probably not worth the added cost or headache, as the differences probably domino out from there.

I'm probably going to have to find a 16:1 early-67 box. On the upside, I'd have it out of the car to cut it for the EPAS kit...
I do have an extra manual box from early 67.

Mel

Back