• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Needing a new multimeter

66gt350

My old BK multimeter finally gave up the ghost and died after many years on life support. So, I'm now in the market for a new one. There's a fluke 88 for sale locally, that the guy bought and never used...retired. He want's 240 for it. Or should I dish out more and get the newer 88V? Or is there any others that I should look into?

thanks

I dunno anything about prices for a used fluke. I would not be afraid to buy a used one though, my dad used the same Fluke 87 day in and day out for 20 years.

I take that back, the first one got hit by a dumptruck in the early 90s and he fished a replacement out of the company dumpster :lol

Heck, I have a 10+ year old Radio Shack one with ~30 year old Fluke leads...no real need for a fancy one, but Flukes seem to be a little more trustworthy.

I'm also looking to replace my old Fluke 75 that I bought way back in 1980 or so. The prices for good DVM's are outrageous, especially Flukes. However, there is no better industrial brand than Fluke.

I have two cheap others, mostly Sears quality, that I use in a pinch, but not often. Suck it up and buy a Fluke.

There's a neat Fluke model (88V) with tach capability (needs add-on for ~$50), and other diagnostics particular to autos. That would be kewl, but it's like $380.

Thanks guys. the older fluke 88, has the rpm capability. And it looks like the guy has the induction pickup included with it. The only difference I've found between the 88 and 88v is that the 88v has a little better resolution, very little -- good enough for the girls I go with. And the 88v has a thermocouple hook-up.

Luckily that one of the things that still works on the old BK. I use that when I fire up the old lead smelter and start casting bullets. Don't want to heat the lead up too much, volatilize, and cause more brain damage than I've already got from smelling exhaust fumes!!! :lol

So, I'm leaning towards getting the fluke 88.

I've got an old Fluke 87 III and I love it, but I must confess that I also have three HF DVMs that I seem to use even more. The HF DVMs do the job, and I got them when they were on sale for 1.99. I keep one in every tool box! Amazing price for what you get!

I use my Fluke to measure voltage and continuity, and love the audible tone and backlight feature. I agree that the Fluke is the best meter I have ever used, and it has a nice indestructible rubber case.

This is what I use. I'm not a professional electrician but do car/house/HVAC stuff as a matter of course. Paid 45 bucks for it used on eBay about three years ago. Works perfect.

SC76.jpg

Back