• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

new 66 project

pjbbx

hi there
i was saying to Pete the other day that i might be getting myself into a project. Well, there you go, i'm planning to update a 66 coupe that needed a little attention. Small project, it appears, because the body looks in pretty good condition, no rust, or very little, and the engine (289) is sound.
it had been (re)painted in white and the interior had been kept original (emberglo and white) with some mismatches (the dash is wine and one seat is another variation of red). Quite nasty all together.
So now, it's a new beginning. I'm thinking of going for highland green for the outside and black pony interior. Can I go any safer than that? Is it boring? I would keep woodgrain for the gloves box door, gauges and wheel.
I need to get a few things, like a new dash, a radio, mirrors, door handles, mufflers, things like that. Seats, of course. Any offers welcome.
I include a photo for posterity. I found an autobody place that will do the body work and paint but more importantly that lets me in while doing the job.
I appreciate any comments or advices.
thank you
pb

Attachments

• 66M-72.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 110
Looks like a real nice place to start. I wish my car would have been in that condition. Is that a 4 lug rearend? If so, let's start adding the the "While I'm at it list..." lol

NPD (National Parts Depot) will be your friend....glad you got the car.

Save on shipping with them and order $300 or more. They have normally had the best parts for the money. Virginia Mustang is another good place to buy from.

it's a 5 lug rear and front. I might be lucky... But i still plan to change the wheels anyway...

You might consider something different than the typical hide all black for interior, especially if the exterior is going to be highland green. I went with Parchment and love the contrast as well as being a lighter interior, it makes it look bigger and not so dark cave like. Here's an example:

4_15_09_10_1_57_35_0.JPG

"AzPete" said:
NPD (National Parts Depot) will be your friend....glad you got the car.

Save on shipping with them and order $300 or more. They have normally had the best parts for the money. Virginia Mustang is another good place to buy from.

+1 :thu

nice one cmayna and good point. Although on the photo it looks almost white to me... And thanks for the tips Pete, i'm going to check that out... I'm still struggling with the exterior color anyway. I, by nature, like bright colors but I am also looking for a safe one...

Bright colors....I would do some variation of orange myself, with a parchment interior and maybe a matching set of stripes....with some gentle black high lights but that is just my thoughts.

Be sure to keep up on the progress pictures too.

thanks for your ideas Pete, as always. Orange is not my color but i see what you mean. I am not dead set on highland green but in the doubt... you know. I was thinking originally of something like a brighter green, lime gold for example. One guy had posted a really nice green on this forum one day but i can't seem to get hold of it again...

I saw a nice green that was taken from a Kia and it was on a '66 Nova wagon. Used black trim and looked real sharp.

"pjbbx" said:
I am not dead set on highland green but in the doubt... you know. I was thinking originally of something like a brighter green, lime gold for example. One guy had posted a really nice green on this forum one day but i can't seem to get hold of it again...

Is this the one? Mainemustang's Ivy green convertible. Definitely a classy color... I've never seen the color up close, but would assume it's similar to '68 highland green.

39170154001_large.jpg

http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/index.php/topic,12249.msg152379.html#msg152379

BTW, 67 Dark Moss Green is brighter than the '68 highland green...

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'll be the first to say...I LOVE the Parchment/Emberglo pony interior color scheme! Done right, it's my favorite. Believe it or not, the dashpad for that interior SHOULD be that burgundy color. I thought it looked bad too, so I dyed mine emberglo (when I had a '66). Here's a good example of Parchment/Emberglo:

1966_00103_06.jpg

Of course, that color scheme wouldn't look good with any shade of green exterior. Pretty much just white or emberglo.

Frank

No I must say i did not hate the emberglo parchment interior (apart from the dash and the carpet) at all when i first saw the car. Although it reminds me a little of the postal bags Buffalo Bill was carrying for the Pony Express... I thought i was going to keep it but I just found it difficult to find a car color that will go with it. I really don't like the original one. As for the different greens, I found the guy with a bright color car, that's 68fastwilliams... I think i will settle for highland green and work out the interior later on. What is a typical interior for such a color if you want to avoid black? I also find white (or parchment) a tad modern...

"pjbbx" said:
No I must say i did not hate the emberglo parchment interior (apart from the dash and the carpet) at all when i first saw the car. Although it reminds me a little of the postal bags Buffalo Bill was carrying for the Pony Express... I thought i was going to keep it but I just found it difficult to find a car color that will go with it. I really don't like the original one. As for the different greens, I found the guy with a bright color car, that's 68fastwilliams... I think i will settle for highland green and work out the interior later on. What is a typical interior for such a color if you want to avoid black? I also find white (or parchment) a tad modern...
You just named the two you could go with really. A custom look in a darker tan/brown could work as well.

"pjbbx" said:

Red interior with highland green works!

NOT

You need to see some parchment in person. It isn't that white at all. You could consider saddle.

"pjbbx" said:
I think ivy gold would be a nice fit.
100662.jpg

31770d1187517988-1967-mustang-interior-colors-2189_3.jpg

Back