• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New chapter in my life.

FordDude

Well-Known Dude
Staff member
This January will be 35 years married to the wife. Our daughter will be 29 in August. She has been living with us for the last 10 months. She had to move back here due to the fire at the rental house. Roommate left the stove on for hours and caught on fire. The fire damage was kitchen cabinets and the refrigerator. But the smoke damage was extensive. During this time with us she completed her teaching credentials and started looking for work as a PE teacher. Got a few interviews in southern California, but no job offers. Her now ex boyfriend, who went through rehab several times could not give up the drinking. So she finally broke it off. This was during the wedding of a friend, reception after, and met a guy in the wedding party from the groom's side. Only thing is that he lives in San Francisco. He invited her up over the 4th of July weekend. Her job search had already broadened and made some interviews in northern California. She got an offer and accepted it. A charter school and she will be the PE teacher for 7 to 12th grade students. My daughter starts on Monday August 1st. She is going to be staying with the new "friend" until her apartment is ready in 3 weeks. The apartment will be 3/4 of a mile from the school, so daily driving will not be needed. I will be making a trip up pulling a medium sized Uhaul trailer when the apartment is ready. Her Edge was packed full of clothes and personal stuff.
This is a little bit of therapy for me writing this. She just left and I am very sad that I will not get to see her every day now. Even when she was living at our rental house I did not see her every day, but I saw her car parked in the driveway and I knew she was home and safe. As a parent we want our children to succeed in life, and she will now be doing that. Just the selfish part of me did not want her to leave. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Tim

Hi Tim.
Know what you mean. The thing is to let loose and have trust in them. Easier said than done. My son (29) and daughter (27) live within a 2mls from our home and yet I am always glad they come over. My son comes over every other weekend and my daughter once a week.
We have to respect that cause they have a live too. Its hard but you have to let loose and learn to think about yourself and your wife. What do you both want to do ???
Its been like just married again but did forgot how it was !!!
Now is our time to enjoy live and spent some money on ourselfs !!!
Bruno.

Tim:
If you end up having a little extra time when you make your Uhaul run up to the Bay Area in a few weeks, let us know. I'm sure that Mike & Joanne would love to host another Mustang event!!!! On the other hand, with a little notice, i can try and rustle up the usual suspects for a beer or something....

Regards, Jeff

Tim

I can certainly feel for you. My kid disappeared down to LA for college for six years. Every time he drove away from home it hurt like the first. I was fortunate to have him back home for the first year of the pandemic, then he went back to LA for a year! Today he works for me and even shares and office!!

If you need any help unloading or moving in I am happy to make the trip over the hill!

Tim:
If you end up having a little extra time when you make your Uhaul run up to the Bay Area in a few weeks, let us know. I'm sure that Mike & Joanne would love to host another Mustang event!!!! On the other hand, with a little notice, i can try and rustle up the usual suspects for a beer or something....

Regards, Jeff
Maybe, just maybe. ;) The U Haul is suppose to be one that I can return to a local place up there and not have to drag it back. Nothing is set in stone as of yet. In fact her start date was suppose to be on Monday the first, but has been pushed back to the 4th. It is a brand new charter school, and not ready to be occupied yet. Class starts on the 15th, the teachers need a week or so to get ready.

fd

Tim

I can certainly feel for you. My kid disappeared down to LA for college for six years. Every time he drove away from home it hurt like the first. I was fortunate to have him back home for the first year of the pandemic, then he went back to LA for a year! Today he works for me and even shares and office!!

If you need any help unloading or moving in I am happy to make the trip over the hill!
I might just take you up on that offer. Remember a good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body. :eek:

fd

I guess we all handle things like this differently. I was more than ready to see my daughter move out. Love her to death but can't live under the same roof for any stretch of time. Since she moved out (well over a decade now) we have never been closer and as she lives quite close we see her every couple of weeks or so. It was a lot harder when my oldest son departed right after high school graduation for the Marine Corp. We were always very close and him being so young (and knowing what lay ahead of him) I think it was more concern for him than actually letting him go that made that one tougher. I've seen him in person probably a dozen times or less since he boarded that bus almost a decade ago. That really sucks but what doesn't is seeing he and my daughter take on life independently and (so far at least) come out on top. The world seems to have become much more difficult to conquer for this next generation and having those two succeeding by finding spouses, buying first homes and starting their own families far outweighs the feelings of loss their departures might have given me.

My youngest heads off to college in a couple weeks. No idea how his next step will affect me. I'm excited for him. He has a great opportunity in front of him and I hope we did our part to prepare him to take full advantage of it. If his siblings are any indication, I'm sure he will do just fine.

Me on the other hand, I have no idea. This will be the first time in well over 30 years the wife and I will be alone. No kids. Got together right out of high school and my daughter arrived pretty soon thereafter. In a way, we have almost NEVER not had a child in our lives together. Oh, boy...

Tim:

Regards, Jeff
I’m in Vancouver right now but will be home today. Sure another ‘event’ at our house would be great Let us know

Back