• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New door glass install?

garner67

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for advice on how to install new door glass in a 67 Mustang fb. Not so much installing the glass & window regulator into the door, but the window glass into the metal frame and stainless steel window trim.

I purchased the correct thickness glass setting tape (15/64" for the lower frame and 1/4" for the stainless trim along the top), but I would like some tips on how to install the glass into the window frame.

Should I use any lubricant (water, alcohol, silicone?) on the metal frame and glass setting tape?
Should I heat up the glass setting tape to make it more pliable?
What's the best way to "press" the glass into the window frame channel?

Or should I just go to an experienced glass installer to get the job done right?... without breaking my new smoke glass.

"garner67" said:
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for advice on how to install new door glass in a 67 Mustang fb. Not so much installing the glass & window regulator into the door, but the window glass into the metal frame and stainless steel window trim.

I purchased the correct thickness glass setting tape (15/64" for the lower frame and 1/4" for the stainless trim along the top), but I would like some tips on how to install the glass into the window frame.

Should I use any lubricant (water, alcohol, silicone?) on the metal frame and glass setting tape?
Should I heat up the glass setting tape to make it more pliable?
What's the best way to "press" the glass into the window frame channel?

Or should I just go to an experienced glass installer to get the job done right?... without breaking my new smoke glass.

That statement makes me wonder if you really want to attempt the install. Gotta have confidence if you plan on a job coming out right. Some things are better left to the pros and this varies per individual.

"garner67" said:

This might be the first time for a "pro" too; I doubt they make them like that anymore. I would try myself first.

First off, those glass setting tape thickness's are WAY off. As I remember there are up to three different thicknesses used to get a tight fit.... 1/64th, 1/32nd and 3/64ths if I remember correctly.

I've done this a couple times and it's not difficult at all. The most difficult part of the whole operation is establishing which combination of tape thickness to use to secure the glass into the frames channel. A little bit of soapy water to help reduce friction while the frame is "tapped" (yes, but with a rubber mallet) onto the lower edge of the glass.

Make sure the glass is properly positioned (fore and aft) on the channel before you start getting it into the channel.

The outer band of stainless trim is much easier, but installed with the same methods.

"daveSanborn" said:
First off, those glass setting tape thickness's are WAY off. As I remember there are up to three different thicknesses used to get a tight fit.... 1/64th, 1/32nd and 3/64ths if I remember correctly.

I've done this a couple times and it's not difficult at all. The most difficult part of the whole operation is establishing which combination of tape thickness to use to secure the glass into the frames channel. A little bit of soapy water to help reduce friction while the frame is "tapped" (yes, but with a rubber mallet) onto the lower edge of the glass.

Make sure the glass is properly positioned (fore and aft) on the channel before you start getting it into the channel.

The outer band of stainless trim is much easier, but installed with the same methods.

You're right about the glass setting tape thickness... my memory failed me, and I actually have 5/64" and 1/16"... but it sounds like I should have some even thinner tape.

The soapy water suggestion sounds like a good idea to help ease the install.

I'll try a test corner tonight to check the tape thickness/fit. Just how tight should the glass be in the frame channel?... just snug where a few light mallet blows sets the glass in place, or should it take a bit more pressure to set the glass all the way into the bottom of the frame channel?

thanks for the replies. mike

My "test fitting" last night went ok, but the 5/64" glass setting tape seems to be just a bit too thick to seat the door glass all the way to the bottom of the frame channel... then again, maybe I'm too timid with the rubber mallet? After the test fit, I took it apart, and called it a night.

A friend in one of the local Mustang clubs recommended an old school glass installer. I gave him a call today, and at first he said that he only does residential glass installations these days. Then, I explained my situation, and he said, "Oh you want help with a classic Mustang? Well, I still like to help people with their classic car projects." He then quoted me a price of about $100 bucks to install both pieces of door glass and vent window frame glass. He only got out of auto glass work because the insurance companies had beaten down the prices so much it wasn't that profitable anymore. However, he still has a soft spot for classic cars. Sounds like I'll just hand it over to a pro instead of purchasing more glass setting tape, and trying another attempt by myself.

Thanks for your replies.

"pnandy" said:
how close is the fb to being assembled again?

I'm way behind schedule. Ever since I got my car back from the painter, I've been buried with work. Hopefully, I start getting a lot more garage time later this month.

Back