• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Engine Crossmember

65fast

I put the RM drop mounts on my car and ran into some issues with the oil pan hitting the stock crossmember. I wish I could say I made this one, but I had a friend who is pretty handy with fabricating put this together for me out of some 2x2. Should be a little stronger than the stock one, but I am not sure how much stress the lower crossmember experiences.

255_31_03_10_3_03_34.JPG

255_31_03_10_3_03_18.JPG

255_31_03_10_3_02_58.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron Morris says 1/2". I am planning a six speed swap, so I need the most tunnel clearance possible or else I would have stuck with the standard height plates.

I have no idea how much stress there is in that area, but I imagine its a fair amount with the engine torque and frame twist. I'm sure what you made up will be adequate though. Hope you don't drag it pulling into the Hooters parking lot down OC. The Chevy Rat boys will make fun of ya ;)

Very nice!!! :5 I may be stealing this idea when I make mine. Is there a reason why the section below the oil pan isn't a single piece? Looks like he had to splice another section on.

"buening" said:
Very nice!!! :5 I may be stealing this idea when I make mine. Is there a reason why the section below the oil pan isn't a single piece? Looks like he had to splice another section on.
Whats the old saying "measure once, cut twice"???

Sorry...my evil twin made me type that!!! :craz

Lol no problem Jeremy.

If you see in the first pic, the flat section was about 4" long. This was my first test fit since he did not have the car when he made it. So, after reworking it a little the flat section ended up being about 8". He was working on it at the end of the day, so I guess the long hours got to him lol.

:ecit I was just razzing ya. After a little weld cleanup and some paint no one would ever notice. That definitely looks like it'll be a pretty clean install....and beefy! Now, start getting all that T56 stuff so I'm not the lone ranger :lol

Had the same issue with the RM mounts. I built a new crossmember from 1 1/2" angle, but I like the tube better. Might have to copy that!

I'm going to attempt fabricating a crossmember similar to yours, but in my mockup phase I'm having some clearance issues with the lower control arm bolts. Did you have this issue? Do you have any pics of this crossmember installed?

I made one about a week from 1*2" steel. It is a little lower profile and fits very nicely. Thanks for the great idea! With my RM mounts and aftermarket pan the original pan was not going to work.

I beleive I do have some pictures, but did not have any issues with the LCA bolts.

I will see what I can find when I get home today.

I would appreciate it! I mocked it up using a 2x4 cut in half and the 2" height of the tube would hit the LCA bolt. If you can snap a few pics I'd really appreciate it!! :weas

Jeremy I though I had some saved on my computer, but apparently I don't. I would get a picture for you, but have the engine out of the car and the cross member off of it!

Do the LCA mounting points in relation to the crossmember mounting points vary a lot from a 65 to 69?

Back