• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Guy

I was also researching it and I guess the foxbody 8.8 is the same width as a 67 8in and 9in. So with brake line modifications and adding leaf spring perches you can install it in a classic mustang. Just not sure if it's worth the hassle lol. Foxbodys are 4 lug so I would have swap out axles as well.

It's easy to swap an 8.8 to 5 lug, you could also go install the fox body 4 link in your car. Theres a few companies that make kits for it.

Side note, you can run the newer (up to 04) 8. 8, just need to swap the axle shafts since they are wider due to the abs rings. Housing is the same though as a fox if I remember right.

Your stock rear is plenty strong enough until you upgrade to something like a big stroker with lots of torque. Even then, unless you slap on some slicks and hit the track you're not likely to hurt it. The rear gear ratio is really dependent on the first gear in the T5. Some of them are pretty stout and you can only roll about three feet before you need to shift if running something north of a 3.00 rear gear! Most of the earlier V8 mustang T5s had a 3.35 first gear. You want a later 2.95 which makes a huge difference in what rear gear you can run. It is also a stronger transmission with a higher torque rating.

I run a T5 behind my stroker with a 2.95 first and a 3.80 rear. First is at least usable in this configuration. If you have the coin, go with a Truetrac over the stock trac-loc setup as well. Better all around performance and reliability.

Here you go.
cabe3a92f89217ada9001c396bf6a2af.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Your stock rear is plenty strong enough until you upgrade to something like a big stroker with lots of torque. Even then, unless you slap on some slicks and hit the track you're not likely to hurt it. The rear gear ratio is really dependent on the first gear in the T5. Some of them are pretty stout and you can only roll about three feet before you need to shift if running something north of a 3.00 rear gear! Most of the earlier V8 mustang T5s had a 3.35 first gear. You want a later 2.95 which makes a huge difference in what rear gear you can run. It is also a stronger transmission with a higher torque rating.

I run a T5 behind my stroker with a 2.95 first and a 3.80 rear. First is at least usable in this configuration. If you have the coin, go with a Truetrac over the stock trac-loc setup as well. Better all around performance and reliability.

I looked up the info on my T5 tag and it is a world class made in 86 with 3.35 first gear.

Tha is for the tip about truetrac I will look into it!

Back