• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New questions arise...

Got the new Ignition switch in, (the vehicle is a 1973 Mach 1), but there's these wires hanging down, and 2 of them came from the fuse box, there's others just hung where they will hang, but I don't know if they need to go somewhere specific, and theirs this broken wire. What could it be?

New002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...the two wires with connectors are red and black, with a male and female connector. I'll bet they go to the tach.

The other wire looks fairly large and pinkish...I'll bet that is a bypassed resistor wire.

"Midlife" said:
Hmmm...the two wires with connectors are red and black, with a male and female connector. I'll bet they go to the tach.

The other wire looks fairly large and pinkish...I'll bet that is a bypassed resistor wire.

Where do they go?

The tach wires typically go to the ignition wire line directly from the ignition switch, where there is a male/female disconnect and the tach goes in line. For 1973, the pink resistor wire starts at the ignition switch and goes to fuse box, and then routes to the female side of the tach connector (male from tach plugs into it). The female side of the tach connects to the male plug on the two pin connector which has a red/green wire that goes to the coil.

It appears that someone cut the pink resistor wire from the ignition, and changed the tach leads to spade connectors from bullet connectors. If you look up in the approximate area, you'll probably find a spade quick disconnect that bypasses the tach.

Back