• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New Welder

Mach1 Driver

Its time to dump my ancient stick welder and get a new machine, and the Black Friday deals are luring me in. I've been eyeballing the Miller Multimatic 215 which does MIG, TIG, and stick. Its a hobbyist machine since it only does DC TIG and uses a lift start. With a spool gun you can MIG aluminum. Current deals will get you both torches, a spool gun and a descent helmet for around $1900 from Bakers Gas.
HOWEVER, Miller just introduced a new Multimatic called the 220. It is a definite step up from the 215. The 220 does AC and DC TIG so you can TIG aluminum and it has high frequency TIG start. It has a nifty little feature where you can take it off automatic and set it to pulse at .7 to 1 second so you can learn the rhythm to add the rod. This machine is available with both torches and a descent helmet for a little under $3k.

Neither one could be considered cheap. I'm concerned that I may have a tough time learning TIG, as it does take a lot of practice and a bit of coordination to use both hands and a foot pedal.

What would you TIG welders do? I guess if you disregard brand and price there isn't much to talk about- just go with the 220. The brand is good and the price is high, but is it worth it? Horseplay, have you started with your new machine yet?

Last edited:
DON'T DO IT.

I bought a Lincoln PowerMig 210 a few years ago which is the same thing as the Miller. Multi-function machine, blah, blah, blah. It is a great tool but not great any all and not the best at any. I use it for MIG and it does a good job. I bought that new Alpha TIG machine because for about the cost of the accessories needed to do TIG. I could get a machine dedicated to TIG that would do a MUCH BETTER job. Everything I read review wise a few years after the introduction of the "all in one machines" says the same thing. Don't do it. Buy what you use in a dedicated machine(s). I couldn't agree more today.

All that nifty stuff you wrote about on the 220 Miller the Alpha does and more (in terms of TIG). I have a fully set-up TIG apparatus which includes new helmet, clamps, better pedal, TONS of consumables and torch bits, a great cart...and more for just under $2k. You can get a great MIG machine either new or used for under a grand and have the BEST of both ready to roll at any time for less than that MILLER. And I promise you the two units will do their respective jobs as good or likely better than that all in one but not best at any machine. The ALPHA is about the most highly rated TIG machine you will find on the WEB. Check it out.

That's it. Search out many of the video reviews on it. You'll like what you find. it's a really good TIG. I haven't done anything more than play with it a bit but it does what it is supposed to. This weekend I hope to finally get some time in the garage to move stuff around. Want to get the F1 into the bigger single stall bay so I can get to work on it. LOTS of frame modifications and suspension work to be done. Be a lot of welding. Want to use TIG for much of it as the welds will need to be very cosmetically appealing as they will be front and center to anyone looking.

Not sure what you want in a welder. Hard to go wrong with a solid MIG from either of the two big brands. There are a few others out there as well that do a great job. I've come to think (for my purposes) I want both MIG and TIG. At some point I want to try my hand at fab work on aluminum intakes and making tubing for turbos, etc. where a TIG is a must. Same for exhaust work. MIG is great for quick fab of steel brackets, etc. Sheetmetal repair. In a "full service" garage build shop really want both.

I read that the Alpha needs a replacement pedal like SSC C910-0725, and a different torch. I saw a video where he talked in length about a 125A torch and connector that can be used on 80% of the jobs, but he never identified it. What did you get?
My only problem with multiple machines is storage, but I can work around that if need be. Above all I want machines that give good quality welds while making it easier to learn and weld.

I bought a ton of stuff off Weldmonger.com. Guy makes incredibly educational videos and his prices are really good. I will have to look up all the stuff and part numbers and post it up later. I did get a different pedal. One that functions in normal fashion not the convoluted way the one that comes with the Alpha does. I may have listed the stuff on that thread I made when I bought the machine too.

Having two distinct machines allows you to have them set-up for their largely different tasks. Swapping a multi-machine from one to the other is no easy feat. You could literally spend half your available practice time making the switch. Only downside is storage space. You still need the different gas tanks, consumables etc.

Back