• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Newbies, share your story here

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Waffles, Starfury, etc. We want to hear from all newbies, your story. What you have? How you got it? What you plan to do with it?

Ok, let's see...crap, I used to have it bookmarked on the old Fomoco forum, but it doesn't exist anymore:(

Anyway, what I have:
1967 Mustang fastback
331 stroker (~320hp, 330ft-lbs)
Comp Cams Magnum 280H cam w/Rhoads Lifters
'68 heads with 1.94/1.50 valves, port-matched exhaust, Comp Cams hardware
3sp m/t
3.25 open rear
4.5 leaf mid-eye rear springs
OE KH-style manual front disc upgrade

How I got it:
I'd wanted a Mustang for as long as I can remember wanting a car. My mom's bf works in the Ford Towe Auto Museum in Sacramento, CA, and over the years he picked up a bunch of Mustang books for me. At some point I decided that I definitely wanted a '67.

In '01 (my senior year), an old friend set me up to go to her prom (at a different school) with one of her friends that I had never met. We went, had fun, blah blah blah. A couple months later I go back to the girl's house to pick up prom pictures. As I'm waiting for her outside, she pulls up and opens the garage door....and inside is a white '67 fastback. After I picked my jaw off the ground, she mentioned to me that her dad was thinking about selling it. !!! It just so happened that I had come upon about $6500 (was supposed to be my college fund from my dad, but that's a different story...) that I had decided to use to buy a car before college. I talked to her dad about the car, who explained that he took it out every other weekend or so, but didn't really have time for it anymore and wanted it to go to a good home. After coming back to test drive it (well, I had my mom test drive it because I hadn't learned to drive stick), I convinced him that I was going to give it a very good home, and he sold it to me for $5500. After getting it home, I immediately drove it (learning how to drive stick on the way; seriously, it's not that hard...) to my friend's house to brag:D

I managed to get the 331 built in about a year (6 months longer than it should've taken, thankyouverymuch, machine shop...) during which time I was able to "borrow" my mom's spare Corolla as transportation. Other than that, it's been my daily driver and only car. I do get to walk to work now, though, and my mom donated a '79 Vespa P125X scooter to me for around-town, so I have semi-alternate transportation, but I still need to finish any projects within a couple days. Furtunately the JC I'm going to has a really good automotive program and a really nice shop, so I get to do a lot of work on the lifts there:)

Future plans are basically to turn it into vintage road race car. I'm going to keep the suspension stock-style, but with upgraded components. Opentracker control arms when I can afford them, subframe connectors, roll cage with bolt-in cross bar (I like my rear seats:)), 5sp transmission, 8.8" rear with TrueTrac diff (have the 8.8 sitting at a friend's right now), and anything else I can think of that will still be legal for vintage racing.

In the immediate future, I'm planning on the Shelby drop (got the template and bit from Daze already) and coil cut to improve handling and drop the front end a little. After that, I'm going to start saving for the big things; tranny, rear, aftermarket heads, body work, etc.

Back