• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

No clearance

Whodat

302 Stroked to 347 Harmonic Balancer don't clear water pump. This is a harmonic balancer that the engine shop got for me. Actually this is a replacement because the first one didn't work with the lower pulley. What are my options?
0a0b10305ebcdd1e303c764be70f43f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is fairly common. Break out the grinder and trim the waterpump a bit where there is interference. Had to do this on my recent engine build myself. Took only a couple minutes with the die grinder. You've got plenty of material there nothing to worry about. A few thousandths clearance is all you need.

Make sure to check the OD of the crank and the ID of the balancer before you try putting it on. And use a balancer installer tool to do it. DO NOT try to pull it on using the damper bolt. Doing so has a real chance to pull the threads out of the crank snout. Should have about .001 interference fit. Be sure to measure at least an inch into the balancer as SBF dampers have a stepped bore to make starting the installation a bit easier.

Time to use a grinder. As Terry said , be careful with the balancer.
And lubricate the snout !

And also the surface of the balancer shaft and especially the contact surface of the seal in the timing cover. Doing it dry has a real chance of scoring the seal surface which will lead to a leak. Regular motor oil is fine for this.

Yep, trim the water pump a bit as mentioned and lube the shaft before you slide that thing on so you don't tear anything.

Back