• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

No Juice

jpyoung

I'm not getting any power to the car. The battery has been re-charged and shows 12 1/2 volts. I get nothing to the car. No lites, horn, ignition etc. I'm thinking ground, but it is hooked to the block (I haven't removed it to check the connection,) I wanted to go to the experts before I go deeper into it. Any ideas. The battery connections are clean by the way. Thanks.

Just start checking the wiring for clean connections. What is the history..... Ground from the passenger side of the head at the back to the firewall?

Grounds seem okay but I'm going to re-do them to make sure the connections are clean. The car sits quite a bit, but I start it every other month and it has been fine.

Do you have 12 volts at the starter solenoid.....battery side? If not, clean the positive battery post. Sitting can cause a layer of corrosion to attack.

Thanks Pete, will get to that tomorrow. I'm gonna check the grounds now and then call it quits (Happy Hour at 5!)

One quick check is see if there is power on the yellow wire at the voltage regulator. If so, at least it is getting out.

Grounds are okay, am re re-charging the battery for whatever that's worth.
Will also re-clean the terminals. Will get back to it tomorrow. Thanks

I think I have my problem narrowed down to a battery issue. It showed 13 volts on my meter after further charging and when I tried the horn it sounded (but weak,) tried to turn over but wouldn't. I'm guessing the battery isn't up to it under a load. Will take it to be tested tomorrow.

Attach the meter to the battery and watch it as you turn on the lights, horn, and other elec. items. If it drops real quick, it is most likely on its way to the trash pile.

Back