• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

No spark. help please?

Alright, so before I posted about having a weak spark from my Mallory ignition coil. I tried putting a new coil on (not mallory) and didnt get any spark. Perhaps I had wires wrong. I tried it on two different coils as well, so its not a coil problem. Its probably just the wiring.

EngineBay005.jpg

these are the wires I have to work with. I have another wire that is just black that I believe goes to the ballast resistor if i remember correctly. Any help? Its a Mallory Uni-lite Distributor. Help?! lol I want to get it running.

Last edited by a moderator:
As posted, you are going to have to trace the wires and post what you are working with. Factory harness, after market dist, which coil. You have been thru changes so update us on the system you are now dealing with.

"AzPete" said:
As posted, you are going to have to trace the wires and post what you are working with. Factory harness, after market dist, which coil. You have been thru changes so update us on the system you are now dealing with.

Alright, finnaly got that part I ordered 8 months ago in. Put it all togethor this afternoon. Put the wires where everything said it was supposed to go.

EngineBay001-1.jpg

Put the Mallory Coil back on, wired it up the way the wiring diagram showed. Still no spark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you need to get the troubleshooting guide for the system you have. Other than that, hope someone here stumbles across this and sees what you have. I still think going back to a stock setup and go from there ........

"AzPete" said:
Sounds like you need to get the troubleshooting guide for the system you have. Other than that, hope someone here stumbles across this and sees what you have. I still think going back to a stock setup and go from there ........

If I only knew how to do it by myself. Or would anybody be able to give me a step by step?

"AzPete" said:

I guess tomorrow I will check my fuses, and start saving for an ignition switch. My ignition switch IS messed up I know because I can't kill the car after it's started anyway. Thats because I had to change the ignition in it and so I broke it over with a screwdriver.

Ignition Switch - If the ignition switch wears out you will not get power to the coil and ignition. Sometimes you may get the engine to crank, but no power to the coil. If this happens you probably have worn out the ignition switch. Be careful, some systems have two switches (Fords) and both need to be replaced together.

Fuses - Lastly I have to mention the most simple and overlooked ignition failure. Check the fuses. Find the ignition or ECM/PCM fuses. Don't just look at them or shove a flashlight up there. Pull it out test it with an Ohm meter. Open (infinity) is bad.

I don't know what that brown wire dangling comes from, but usually, the brown wire is the main lead to the starter solenoid containing the ignition signal when cranking. When using the starter, voltage drops well below the needed minimum when using a resistor wire (normal configuration), so the starter solenoid sends full battery voltage to the coil via the brown wire.

From the pic's posted, Your going to have to verify the wires as to where they go.
The brown wire from the "I" post of the sol should go to the post with the red wire, If the red wire comes from the ign switch.
The green wire you have should go to the dist.
Sometimes a simple track and trace will straighten out wiring problems.

"Mach1Rider" said:
From the pic's posted, Your going to have to verify the wires as to where they go.
The brown wire from the "I" post of the sol should go to the post with the red wire, If the red wire comes from the ign switch.
The green wire you have should go to the dist.
Sometimes a simple track and trace will straighten out wiring problems.

Where should the red wire go then?

Just a shot in the dark here, :shrug

From the pic of the coil wiring, the red is right on the resistor with a lead to the plus side of the coil on the other.
the other wires green and assuming black are dist lead and tach.
You need to verify which one is which.

Simple Ohm meter check will tell..... :roll

Back