• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Not again!

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Got a call from SWMBO while I was at work: the grinder pump alarm went off again. What's a grinder pump, you ask? It's a pump that takes household waste water, grinds it up, and lifts it up to the sewer system. In my development, the grade is insufficient to reach the sewer lines, so waste water needs some help.

This is the third grinder pump we've gone through in 9 years, and they each cost about $1600. This particular incident is about the 7th since moving into the new house. There is no alternative: if you have access to the sewer line, you cannot use a septic tank and leach lines, according to county code. I can't throw cigarette butts down the toilet, nor can SWMBO dispose of her feminine things either. This thing is so sensitive, we can't even pour kitchen grease down the disposal. (It also doesn't like disposed car paint, lacquer thinner, etc....imagine that!).

Anyway, I get home, and pop the top off, hoping the zip ties holding the alarm float broke again. Nope; called the plumber. Together, we confer, examine things, and confirm the main float isn't working. It runs off of 220V, and he had to run to the office and find one that fits the electrical plug. $100 in parts and $100 in labor later, everything is fixed. The float's insulation had worn where it is attached to allow it to rotate up and down, that the copper wires were bared, soaked in (you know it!) shit for who knows how long. It is amazing it lasted as long as it did. The float was replaced about 2 years ago.

This is ridiculous that a grinder pump system is so unreliable and so damn expensive. The best on the market only comes with a 2 year warranty.

I was not in that part of town..............I have nothing to do with how his crap flows............ :zip

Not looking forward to this....

I'm still on my old faithful septic system..... although I did have to get down and dirty recently and install a couple new drain fields/lines off of the tank.

The County has plans to run a sewer line down my road in the near future (next 3-5 years). As I understand it, I will be forced to tie into the line. Since my house/property sits so low, I too will have to be pumping everything up to the main line. Why can't things just stay the same? I really dislike change.

Too bad you can't use a lagoon system, it's the most maintenance free system I've ever had. No pumps to break down, no tank to empty and I get the sweet sounds of a million frogs in the spring :dance

and No, it doesn't have an aroma!

Never heard of this system, unless you mean simply emptying it into a big wide pit...

You could always build a small treatment plant and sell it for lawn watering......

"Midlife" said:
Never heard of this system, unless you mean simply emptying it into a big wide pit...

I don't think you can use it in Florida due to the high water table. It's just a small pond that all the house waste water goes to, all gravity fed. I haven't bothered to look up how the lagoon is prepped, but it has no moving parts to break down. You just have to keep it fenced off to keep out all the animals...small kids!

Pretty common thing out here on the Prairie.

Ahhh...the explains the awful smell when driving through the Plains.

"Midlife" said:
Ahhh...the explains the awful smell when driving through the Plains.

That really hurts :2guns

:rofl

Now that I know the truth, someone else claimed it was simply the "smell of money" coming from various pig farms.

Mr. Roto-RooterMan liked my idea of my buying a float switch ahead of time, saving the approx. 100% mark-up from the plumbing company. After visiting three plumbing/landscaping/well supply stores, I finally found a replacement. It was in a very dusty box, and the salesman said it's very old inventory, so he'll cut me a deal: $32 instead of $64 retail. $32.37 out the door, including tax. Not bad for a $100 part from Roto-Rooter. Took it home, hooked it up as a test, and worked like a champ. It's going into my parts storage warehouse for future use.

BTW, I have two of these pumps: one for the house and one for the Garage Majal, so it's very likely I'll need this switch in the next couple of years.

Back