• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Notch Question

Johnny M

Can anyone tell me the reason for the notch in the passenger side rear wheel arch? is it for the spare wheel to fit?

TrunkNotch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the thought, but cars with those wheel wells are random. A few years ago, I conducted a poll for 64.5-66 cars, asking factory, year, original engine size, and body style and found examples of each that contained the bent wheel well and examples of each that did not.

"Midlife" said:
That is the thought, but cars with those wheel wells are random. A few years ago, I conducted a poll for 64.5-66 cars, asking factory, year, original engine size, and body style and found examples of each that contained the bent wheel well and examples of each that did not.

Strange, i hope it doesn't effect my clearence.

And the bracket on the right side of the opening for the fuel tank is to tie down the spare wheel?

You are correct johnny boy, It is for your spare. I always remove the hold down bracket. You won't have any tire problems with the notch. Top of the mornin to ya johnny. Rich.

"mustangstofear" said:
You are correct johnny boy, It is for your spare. I always remove the hold down bracket. You won't have any tire problems with the notch. Top of the mornin to ya johnny. Rich.

Thanks Rich. I will remove the hold down bracket as i wont be carrying a spare.

D'is a fine mornin here in the Emerald Isle.

Back