• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Oddball Metric sizes (aka THAT job sucked!)

BobV

Tackled the brake job tonight on swmbo's Mercury Mariner (Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute)... After 65k miles, pads were 2/3 worn, but rotors vibrated...

I've got a pretty decent set of tools, including a fair assortment of metric stuff, how about you?
Do you have a 9mm 3/8 drive hex bit? Seems that most sets (like mine) include 8mm and 10mm, but no 9's... You'll need a 9mm to remove the calipers. Nobody stocks it either...
How about an 18mm 1/2 drive socket? Yep, 17 and 19 are included in sets... If you're pulling the rotors, you'll need an 18mm to remove the caliper bracket. Nobody stocks it either...

:wtf were the engineers thinking???

Then, the rotors were rusted/frozen to the hubs. By that point, I was ready to beat on something with a BFH anyway. :headac

I guess I'm spoiled since we've got 1/2" drive metrics from 11mm to 26mm. But a 9mm hex drive? :wtf :wtf That is weird!![/i]

And here I thought I had a real head scratch-er when I found myself reaching for the 7mm shallow well so I could remove the idler pulley from a 5.0L Explorer. :lol I don't think I've used that socket for anything else, before, or since. :pbj

That crap always pi$$es me off. If the vehicle is made for the U.S. market, make it with SAE bolts.

Damn fereners. Why we need to deal with both is ridiculous.

"Midlife" said:
But is it left-handed?

Let's see, the small metric crescent is either....the size is on both sides of the handle. The larger one is evidently right handed becuase the size is only on one side.

"70_Fastback" said:
That would depend on which hand his beer is in.

With the shortage of Wattles, work has slowed down considerably. Once we get beer in again, I will have to see which hand works best for the beer while using the metric crescent.....

Back