• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ok.. I can not decide in wheel width for the rear of my 70. Help

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
I'm struggeling with which way to go, so I want to get some input from fellow '70 owners with aftermarket wheels.

I'm going with the American Racing Torq Thrust M - black wheel:
105MSB.jpg

This is where I am at right now.

Front options:

* Torq Thrust M - Black 17x8, 4 1/2" Backspacing

* Torq Thrust M - Black 17x8, 5 3/8" backspacing.

Rear options:

* Torq Thrust M - Black 17x8, 5 3/8" backspacing.

* Torq Thrust M - Black 17x9, 6" backspacing

I have measured the rears over and over, and it looks like either will work, but the 9" may be getting tight. And I do not have rolled fenders, and would prefer to not go that route. I'm also lowered 2" all around.

Can anyone give some input - or recommendations? I want to keep the T/W combo tucked under the car as much as possible too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would "borrow" that tool that Streetortrack offers and measure what you need/can fit. Its like 15-20 bucks and they will take the cost off the wheels if you order from them, IIRC.

Linky

My sons '68 w/stock width Currie 9" rearend is using 17x9.5 w/5.5 BS and there's a fair amount (1/2"?) of room on the inside and a little less room on the outside, but it doesn't rub. This is with a 275/40/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 series tire.

The '69-70 stangs should be no worse than the 67-68's.... as best I can figure.

Did his have rolled fenders or anything like that ?

He has flared fenders/quarters, but the original lip of the quarter panel is in the stock location and does not interfere with the width of the tire.

Back