• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

OMG: a car blows up in front of me in Atlanta!

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I was going north on I75 towards the beltway in Atlanta today, when POOF, a bunch of grey paperish kind of stuff explodes out of a car or truck, and hits my windshield. Since it was soft, no damage, but kinda strange. Within 30 seconds, one of the cars in front suddenly veers from the third lane immediately over to the right hand emergency shoulder in front of heavy traffic. I quickly look over, and the hood had been slammed up into the windshield, so the driver obviously couldn't see anything in front.

I've no idea what happened, but I suspect something blew up, and what hit my windshield musta been the paper air filter remnants. Freaky, to say the least!

Hey! First, I'm driving; secondly, my cell phone doesn't have a camera, as I work on a gov't facility that doesn't like photos taken. It was all over and done with in 10-20 seconds.

I'm still puzzled over what could have caused both the hood to blow up and over and then release all that paper material...

Depending on the car, what you think it filter remnants may be the under hood insulation. That could come off just from the hood blowing open.

That makes more sense than an air filter. The underhood insulation is more like what I saw as remnants.

I imagine the driver needed some immediate laundry servicing...

About the government not wanting pictures taken thing---are you still in the witness protection program??

Back