• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Open Track Racing, Willow Springs BIG track, 3-16-2011

O

opentrackerSteve

Today, I got some candy in open track racing on the big track at Willow Springs.

I got all of my stuff together and blew an upper radiator hose on my first session. The hose connection to the TEFBA filter was not overlapping the bead or flange of the TEFBA filter, and the hose blew off the under pressure of high speed driving.

Second time out, I lost my a/c belt and it probable disconnected my electric fan (which I zip tied together).

third time our was good until I over applied the brakes in turn 5 and skidded into the gravel. All was well (I suspected) and I went out for a 4th heat.

I had a vibration during heat 4, and after it was over with, I pulled into the pits only to see a flat spot (from the skid) and now rhw cord was exposed. Nonetheless, I packed it up and called it a day. I had a BLAST going over 120 mph and cutting corners, so it was all worth it even with the short venue (for me).

I'd recommend you all get out and try this business...
some of my laps

Here is a pic of the flat spotted tire:

Attachments

• flat_spotted_tire.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 30
Wow! That was an eventful day. Glad you still had fun.

Us Kansas folk hit the track on April 20. I only need to flush my brake fluid and change my oil and I am good to go. Mark is very close to being back together and our other cohort has to replace his flywheel outer ring and starter bendix and we hope he will be set.

We will be representing the Mustang world as best as we can with a 66 Fastback, a 94 Saleen Clone, and an 07 Saleen.

Glad you had a fun time even with the problems. Lord knows I've had enough for everyone! I was LMAO at 9 min when you were "helping the car go faster"!

Couple of suggestions:

Think about racing seats. You would so much more relaxed if you were strapped in tight and not having to work to stay in the seat.

Pair of gloves will help too.

The gopro camera has good video, but the sound is horrible. I could barely hear your engine (and that's the best part). I tried one of those and quickly sold it because the sound was so bad.

Thanks for the inputs. I really didn't have much of a problem staying in my seat, my fidgetting is probably due to trying to get an angle on the guy in front of me or looking down track a little more.

Regarding gloves - yes, they would help and I need to get a pair.

The Gopro audio was seriously muffled, but that's the setting I had it on, so I will adjust it to the other setting and see how that goes.

You're right on the sound, the small block ford revving at 4000+ rpm is sweet indeed......

Back