• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Opinion On Quarter Panel Condition

67TXStang

I have a few rust bubbles in the lower back corners of my quarter panels. I noticed this when I purchased the car but did not worry too much about it.

I worked on the rear quarter windows and found more damage to the quarter panels. While I can't tell from the outside of the car, I can see where there was damage which was repaired with bondo. There are a series of small holes I believe were drilled and then used to pullt he panel out more into proper shape.

I'm working on doing much of the body work myself. I've not done it before but am not afraid of a challenge. What I'm wondering is if it would be best to just replace the entire quarters or just leave this alone. If I leave it alone, I could sand the outside properly without going to bare metal and then just paint over it. This just seems like the easy way out rather than the proper way. Opinions?

Proper way.....it needs to be stripped and patch panels welded in. If not, more problems in the future. I would avoid replacing the entire quarter unless there is more damage elsewhere.

I agree. I would grind all the mud off the outside and then evaluate it. If it's fairly straight, weld up the holes and and then redo the filler work.

Don't forget to treat the interior rust with some sort of etching chemical; then, apply some rust inhibitor like, POR-15 or Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator Paint.

Here's a link to some rust treatment products Eastwood's Rust Products

Back