• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

"Other Brands"

AtlantaSteve

I want to get everyone's take on this issue, as I find it sort of interesting.

As a Mustang site, I assume that most everyone here is a fan of the actual car (except for OpenTracker, lol) and has SOME affinity towards Fords.

As a young man, I was a Ford man to the core. I only wanted Fords to win NASCAR, I only wanted to own/work on Ford cars. The WORST kind of car was a GM or any Import. Chrysler was one step up. Ford was way up on top of the pile.

As I've aged, I've mellowed quite a lot. I now drive a Toyota, and have a lot of brand affinity for Toyota/Lexus. My NASCAR driver of choice is Tony Stewart (Who used to drive a COT with a Toyota logo, but now drives a COT badged with a Chevy logo) and I now have a great deal of appreciation for ALL brands. Sure I still know more, and tend to like more the Fords, but over the years, I have come to appreciate all the great iron GM and Chrysler have put out, And have likewise come to appreciate Foreign cars of all stripes for what they are. Heck, I LOVE the little VW Cabriolet I bought for my wife.

What about you? Is Ford your top? Is the Mustang really your FAVORITE car, or are you just here because the Mustang is one of the many cars you love/appreciate/own. Is Chevy a bad word? Could you ever drive a Japanese car?

I think some take it for granted that if you're here you're a Mustang/Ford guy. But a LOT of the members here have cars from the other brands, too. Like a couple of guys have GTOs. There are some chevy trucks. Even a Fiero.

Me personally? I love cars, and I don't have it in me, anymore, to look down on any of the other brands. Sure I love my mustang above all others, but that's because it's MY mustang!

I was a chevy guy at first. My brother had a Camaro and I had an Impala. I would buy tune up parts, brakes parts, oil and filters to keep in stock. That son of a b!tch kept steeling my parts for his car. When I went to do a tune up, oil change or brake work, it was gone. It happend a lot and I got pissed, so I sold the chevy and bought a Ford. Fixed his ass.

I like 'em all. It's a people sport in my opinion. If the guy likes his car and spends time on it, I like it too. After getting my First Ford, I kinda fell in love with being the odd one in the bunch. The fact that my Ford was faster than most of the chevy's was cool too.

I grew up with a pure Ford family. From family cars to the farm tractors, it was always Ford. My Dad never went to any new car display but Ford when the new models were brought out.

Thru my car buying life, I have had a few various brands but always seem to come back to Ford. The Mustang is one I have always liked and since I turned 13 on the day they were introduced, I have a soft spot for them. I may purchase other old Fords in the future as I do like a change. I like them all, but what I buy is my preference.

The list below is just about every vehicle I have owned. Some for the son or daughter and some motorcycles. The left side were primary, right side secondary or toys. My wife has a hard time keeping up with me at times.....everything old was restored to some point.

1945 Ford Pickup (bought from Dad in 1967)
1957 Chevy 210 2 door post
1964 Mercury Comet Caliente Coupe 260 3 sp
1965 Ford Ranch Wagon
1964 Mercury Comet Caliente Vert HiPO 1942 Willies Jeep
1972 Datsun 1200 Sport Coupe (new) 1960 VW Baja
1975 Datsun Pickup (new) 1960 Ford Falcon
1971 Chrysler T&C wagon 1972 Yamaha RD350
1977 Suburu GL (new) 1964 VW Baja
1964 Chevy C10 pickup
1979 AMC Concord Wagon (new) 1977 Yamaha Chappy Mini Bike
1980 Yamaha Virago 750 (new)
1978 GMC 4X4 SWB
1982 Honda Ascot FT500 (new)
1987 Honda GL 1200 Gold Wing Aspencade (new)
1976 AMC Sportabout Wagon (D)
1986 Isusu P’Up (D)
1993 Mercury Cougar XR7 (new) 1982 Honda Twinstar 250 (S)
1963 Ford Fairlane (S)
1985 Olds Cutlass (S)
1979 Jeep CJ5
1996 Pontiac Grand Am (S)
1974 Ford Ranchero (S)
1982 Alfa Romero (S)
1993 Ford F150 Ex Cab (S)
1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 (new) 1966 Mustang Coupe
2001 Ford F150 4X4 Lariat (new) 1963 Ford F100 4X4
2002 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (new)
1975 Honda GL1000 Gold Wing
1977 Honda GL1000 Gold Wing
1987 Honda Helix 250
1996 Ford Bronco EB
1995 Ford F150 Ext. Cab
1987 Mustang GT HO
1996 Ford 4X4 Ranger
1960 Ford F100
1960 Ford F100 (parts)
1991 Chevy
2000 Mustang GT Vert 1966 Mustang Coupe
2007 Mustang GT Vert (new)
1999 Pace Arrow RV 1968 Mustang Coupe
1966 Mustang Coupe
2010 Ford Focus (new)

I like 'em all. Well, I take that back... I wouldn't own a Prius... or whatever the hell they're called. There's no amount of $$$ you could save that would get me to own one of them! And I told my wife she couldn't put a minivan in my garage either...

When I was a kid it really didn't matter what brand it was, just that I thought it was cool looking. Then I started driving.....first a Vega, then a Hornet, then a Nova, then a Monte Carlo and then FINALLY I made enough money to buy a new car. I had always loved Mustangs and in 1984 I bought my first one; a silver GT. That car completely changed my mindset on cars. It was fast, handled great, was cool looking and I never had a mechanical issue or loose parts.....it was GREAT. I have had Fords since, hell, even my tractor is a Ford.

During this time I met Deb (1986), who came from a family that grew up in the Detroit area and whose Dad had worked his way up to Ford's Director of purchasing & supply North and South America. That pretty much cemented the love of Fords for me.

As far as racing went, I had a couple buddies that were deep into Nascar in the mid 70's and I got sucked into that arena. Pulled for the Fords, lived Nascar for way too many years. I can remember many times watching the 500 et-al and as I was surrounded by Dale Sr. fans, giving the one finger salute as the chevy's went by (I did say I was way deep into this). I look back and wondered WTF was I doing wasting all that time. I haven't watched nor cared what goes on in Nascar since Alan Kulwicki died. I gave up my seats and have only been back to the track for the Turkey Rod Run or to take a few laps around the track in a RPDE car. I would like to take the 66 there one day and turn some laps on the road course though.
We also used to live at the track during the 24 hrs and Paul Revere races in July. We would set up camp and pull for the Roush cars. We even had some of the Roush guys come by our compound with great food, thanking us for being such rabid fans!! For 4 years, we worked for IMSA in the timing & scoring for the 24 hr race. Got to work in the hot pits, met lots of drivers, owners and hung out in the various pits. For a car nut, it was HEAVEN!

Nowadays, I can appreciate all kinds of cars, but still will only buy Fords!

I am not a Ford guy really. I love the mustang, but not into any other Ford products specifically.

My first car was an 84 Camaro, then a Firebird, Then I drove a 5.0 convertible and the Mustang passion was born.
If it wasn't for winter I would still have a Mustang convertible for a daily driver, but it's too hard in the winter.
I drive 85 miles a day to get to work and back.

I am also Mainly a Jeep guy. I have had 9 different Jeeps over the years.

I have never owned a four door sedan. Always sport cars or Jeeps.

If it's old, I like it. (Yes, that does sound right) I've been a "Ford guy" all my life (for the cool stuff) and more so now considering the bailout crap but that's off topic. For drivers, I typically lean toward Toyota or Nissan. We've had a little of everything through the years with the worst being the wife's Grand Am and mine being a Taurass.

Mine through the years:

First car, 1981 Datsun 310 that went through he[[ and back and wouldn't give up. Loved that car.
1965 Mustang purchased 4 months after I turned 16, kept driving the Datsun
1989 Sentra
1986 Bronco II-miss that one
1997 Altima-miss that one
198x Mazda B2000 truck-tough as nails
199x Sentra-280,000 miles and was still running good...on ORIGINAL clutch
198x Jeep Grand Wagoneer monster toy-what a blast
1998 Blazer-current DD
1994 Toyota Camry-225,000 when I sold it
2001 Taurass

*can't forget the 1990 Mustang GT with 15,000 miles on it
------------------
1974 F100 house puller
1976 F250, still have
1992 F150
bought and sold various other cars

wife's:
POS grand am
1990 Mustang 7-up
1998 Mazda 626
2005 Toyota Camry-current driver
2008 Kia Sedona-"extra vehicle"

I typically don't dd newer cars. I don't give a rat's rear what I look like going to work and back. Geez, the nicer it is the more I have to worry about it. My dds will haul anything from lumber to dead deer at any given time. Most of the one's I've driven have been "hand me down" purchases from family. I save the newer stuff for the wife. If I'm going out looking to buy something for the family, I lean toward Toyota, Nissan, and am liking the Hyundai/Kia line. Honestly, if I'm gonna buy a newer car that's not gonna be a "fun" car, Ford is the last place I'll go. I don't even look at Chevy and Dodge. Now, if I had the cash for a new truck, I'd be all over a Chevy 2500 HD. IMO, you get too much car for the money with a Toyota or Hyundai/Kia to look elsewhere. This is speaking on a "practical family vehicle" level.

I like all different kinds of cars. At the moment I have a '66 Mustang and an '07 Explorer.

Always have liked Fords, but before my grandmother retired she worked in the office at a Ford dealership for years so we always had at least one Ford around....hard to beat employee pricing.

However, I owned a Nissan 240sx for about six or seven years right after I got out of college. Say what you will about imports but the car drove nice and was pretty quick. I bought it with 30k miles on it and sold it with about 85k miles on it. Never had to go to the shop even once. I changed the oil on a regular basis and replaced the battery a couple of times and that was all the repair bills I had on it except for a brake job one time. Needless to say it was dependable.

In high school I owned an '80 Trans Am. Still miss that car and if I had the money to buy one and a place to keep it, I'd buy another one to restore / play with. I'd probably go older than the '80 model though...

You still can't beat a Ford though. I drove an '82 F150 for a long time. It looked like hell but it was a beast and ran well even after it had lots of miles on it.

As far as Chevy cars go....I've honestly never cared for Vettes. Don't know why, I just don't. But I do like some of the older Camaros. A friend of mine runs a body shop and has a '68 Camaro that is really nice. Really like the old '55 - '57 Bel Air. Friend of mine back in high school had a '57 that was a total hot rod and his older brother had a '55.

I don't really like most of the "exotic" junk though. Lambo, Lotus, Ferrari, etc have just never done much for me. Prefer old muscle cars and pony cars I guess....

Being a Chevy die hard, I never thought I'd own a Mustang until my daughter talked me into buying Red on father's day of 2004. I haven't been the same since.

Still love my Chevy truck.

During the 60s, I had 3 Fords (64 Galaxie 500, 66 Mustang coupe, and 70 Mach 1). But I also liked the GM intermediates and owned a 65 GTO, 66 442, and 68 GTO.

The '68 I have now was in my parents garage as long as I could remember. My dad was a HUGE Ford guy. Loved the Comets and the Falcons. I never cared much for the Falcons. My first car was a '68 fastback. After that I went thru a couple Fox body LX's, a Thunderbird and even a Ranger. I prefer the Mustangs, but anything and everything that someone has put some work into catches my eye and interest, it may not be my cup of tea, but I respect peoples efforts.

"blue65coupe" said:
1965 Mustang purchased 4 months after I turned 16, kept driving the Datsun

Same one you've got today???

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm enjoying reading people's thoughts on this.

IN the early 70s American cars were steadily going downhill in quality and engineering while the imports were headed in the other direction. Heck I knew it why didn't the American Auto Industry?

So I started with a '73 VW Super Beetle and kept buying imports until the family Dodge minivan. Nice utility still the bad engineering. I did start buying American with a '89 T-bird and on to a '04 Burban.

I think now the American auto industry has finally learned a hard lesson but squandered the position in market and capacity in the interim. The Motor Trend COTY is a Fusion and they loved the '10 Mustang also (305hp V6 in '11) so the American car is on a major comeback.

My current stable...
67 Mustang
87 Fiero GT
02 Mustang
04 Subrban
06 BMW K1200GT

Wish list if I had the money.....Audi R8 :)

"AtlantaSteve" said:
Same one you've got today???

That's the one! The week after I got it I had chrome bullet holes and new exhaust put on it. It received a new paint job for my hs graduation and rode like that until a few years ago when I did the overhaul. Now it just sits *cry*. I'll have to admit, it was a heckuva feeling having the only classic mustang in the hs parking lot. Three classics that would grace the joint. My '65, a friend's '7x camaro, and another friend's slightly modded '57 Bel Air. We would typically coordinate the days to drive 'em and enjoyed making the "cool rich kids" look like *donkeys*.

I like all good cars. I have had many brands and many Fords. At one time we had all three kids driving Fords. Now they drive a Dodge, chevy, and Honda. It has to do with what works for us more than anything.

for a hobby, I am mostly a Ford guy, but want so bad to do a 67 Camaro with a SBC in it. Has to have a manual trans. I will need a shop before long just to house my projects. I like many Mopars, heck had a 69 Roadrunner and a 84 daytona with a 2.2 turbo and 5spd.

GM is a dirty word around here unless it is an early Camaro for SWMBO or for me I like the older trucks, Chevelle and of course many of the Camaros.

Heck SWMBO doesn't like many of the old and larger Fords either. She is very picky. So, when we go to a show it takes her about 15 minutes to see the cars she is interested in. Take me all day at Knott's to see what I like!

Oh, foreign cars, I like many of them, but I just can't stand tuners. They are just obnoxious! some of the craftsmanship is to be admired, but they are obnoxious. I do like some of the vintage foreign cars. Triumph spitfires, MGs, Sunbeams, Mercedes, Jags, and many others.

I hope that answers the questions.

"silverblueBP" said:
Nowadays, I can appreciate all kinds of cars, but still will only buy Fords!
Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. Born into a FORD only family. Grandparents,Father,Mother,brother,Uncles.Everybody owned FORDs and you did not even think of driving up in a Chebby or anything else unless you wanted a big ration of Sh*t from all of them. Drove my brothers '69 fastback when I was 14 and was hooked on Mustangs from that day.

Over the years I've driven Fords, Chryslers, and GM cars but upon reflection, when it came to spending my own money on a domestic brand, it was a Ford of some sort. Recognize that I also drove a large number of European and Japanese cars as well and have had at least one VW in the fleet at any given point in time.

I used to be pretty much a die-hard Ford fan, but as I get older, that is changing. Having driven an M5 BMW as my daily driver for going on 3 years now, has made an impact on what appeals to me in cars. Concerning speed, that really hasn't changed, I still love fast cars, but the creature comforts and more importantly, the handling and build quality, is much more important to me now. Having done driving schools, I can appreciate a car that handles and performs well on many levels, not just one that goes fast. When I look at the new Mustangs these days, I like how they look, but am disappointed with the interior designs and also with the handling of the cars. Maybe I've gotten spoiled with the M5.

Lately, I've been drooling over an M6 coupe that's for sale in GA, but I can't justify the $$ right now. As far as other cars out there that would appeal to me these days, unfortunately, there really isn't anything that Ford makes that I would buy. Maybe a truck if I needed one, but their cars just don't do it for me. Not to say they are not good cars, it's just my own personal preference. My wife's '02 Explorer has 147k miles on it now. It has been a pretty good vehicle overall, but of course... it is a purpose-built vehicle with no-frills to drive. It has served that purpose perfectly.

As far as American cars, I have to say I somewhat intrigued by the Caddy CTS-V, would like to test drive one to see what all the fuss is about. Can't really think of any other GM product other than a Corvette that might interest me. The Challenger/Cuda retros are kinda like the Mustang. Look neat, but up close they're just kinda blah. I pretty much would not drive any Dodge product if it was given to me. They are hideous... in my opinion of course!

One thing about all this that I find interesting is I no longer care for convertibles... with my reasoning being that they wouldn't make good track cars! Oh well, I guess if we all staid the same, life would probably be boring. The main thing is that I still love the vintage Stangs and don't see any reason for that to change in the foreseeable future. I guess what that means is you guys are stuck with me! :bike

Back