• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Overhead Console wiring

tarafied1

My windshield got chipped on the way to MBBV so I'm going to replace it. That will give me the chance to FINALLY install my overhead console bracket while the windshield is out. My car didn't come with a console, anybody know what the wiring diagram looks like? Also, what happens to the dome light? Will I need the underdash lights like a fastback?

I am not sure what you do with the dome light.

What I did for my overhead console was made this, of course this is for a fastback but, I cannot imagine a coupe would be any different.

3a8ahupa.jpg

I looked at the original wiring diagrams and it looked like the console was fed power from the green / yellow which is hot whether the door is open or closed.

I took the male pin that goes in the passenger door switch and plugged it into the female bullet connector on the new harness that I made. Then took the male pin from the new harness and plugged it into the door switch.

The opposite end has a female bullet that runs up to the male pin that is attached to the overhead console.

I suppose if you are not opposed to splicing into your wiring you could just tap into the green / yellow wire.

I have all new or refurbished stock wiring so, I did it this way.

I had a problem on my installation that I still have not fixed. one of the lights in the ovhd console would not turn off, it stays on constantly. The other switch works just like it should. It turns off/on whether the door is opened it closed.

I think I have a bad switch in the console.

Craig, I've never had my overhead out but it came stock and I do have the two underdash lights that shine on the floorboards. As mentioned you'll need an always hot wire, if you used the dome light wire it wouldn't have juice with the door closed, you'd have to turn the HL switch to turn on power to the interior lights before using the OVHD lights if you used the dome wire.

Top right corner of schematic assy. 13A724, looks like they take power from the door switch before it goes to the switch? Whereas the dome light would take it after?
http://hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/wirin ... 7inter.jpg

Jon

"Jonk67" said:
Top right corner of schematic assy. 13A724, looks like they take power from the door switch before it goes to the switch? Whereas the dome light would take it after?

This is correct, the green with yellow tracer is constant hot whether the door is open or closed. The black with blue stripe is only hot with the doors open. If you take the plunger switch out of the door jam there are 2 separate wires, each has a male pin connector that plug into the switch. One is a male green with yellow stripe (constant power) and the other is a black with blue stripe - that supplies the interior lighting ( power when the switch is activated.)

I don't believe there are overhead consoles for 65/66's. For 67/68's, the dome light takes its power from the LH door jamb via wire (53) or the green/yellow wire (always hot and fused).

"Jonk67" said:
Craig, I've never had my overhead out but it came stock and I do have the two underdash lights that shine on the floorboards....
Jon
thanks, I kinda figured that was the case.

thanks everyone for the info. I ordered a new windshield, when it comes in I will begin to take the car aprt. in the mean time I will gather the wiring and underdash lights and re-dye the console red (it's white).

Craig. You WILL need the under dash lights. It is too dark with out them. Also use the led bulbs. They are much brighter.
They also make led bulbs that fit the overhead console

Did you mount the front bracket for the console before the headliner was installed?

"janschutz" said:
Did you mount the front bracket for the console before the headliner was installed?
no, that's why I am going to try and install it when the windshield is out. I didn't buy it until after the interior was "done"

Looks great Craig!

Did you hook it up to the old dome light wiring or fish a wire through and use the green and yellow wire?

Ever get any under dash lights?

"janschutz" said:
Looks great Craig!

Did you hook it up to the old dome light wiring or fish a wire through and use the green and yellow wire?

Ever get any under dash lights?
I bought what appears to be a "dome" light on eBay but I used it and my original dome light as underdash lights. They plugged right in to the harness and work quite nicely!
My map light switches don't work so I bypassed them for the time being and plugged the map lights into the original dome light lead. While the windshield was out I did wire up a harness and snake it in the headliner at the same time I installed the bracket. I poked the wire thru the screw hole for the bracket. All I have to do is drop the console and re-install the connectors to the switches and swap the connections once I get new switches. My brushed aluminum panel was pretty beat up so I painted it satin black with textured paint to match my dash. I taped off the edges to the panel looks like the dash pieces.
However, I am going to hunt down a better panel and map light switches and I'll do it up proper when I get those. I have had this console for a few years and finally put it in because the windshield got broke and had to be replaced. I figured that was the best time to get the bracket installed!
usa5ubur.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will those lights help you see what you are typing while texting other Mustang members while driving at 75 mph?

Back