• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

P.O. stuff......gotta share....

AzPete

I got curious as to why the tail lights had two bright spots behind the red lens so today I looked. Tail lights are brighter than normal, brake lights are good, and this is what I found. I had to laugh...
taillights.jpg

Yes, that is a small bulb on the outside edge of the bucket. Both lights work as tail lights and the brake/turn works as normal. It appears that the original socket s are still in place with the wires extended to attach to his setup. It works, is brighter than normal, but looks real odd. I also found that I need to get new gaskets for the whole area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are both lights supposed to function together by evidence of any leftover wiring/splicing? It would appear the smaller may be a signal light vs. both for brakes. Shadetree mechanicin' at it's best either way.

The large bulb is a normal functioning tail and brake/turn. The smaller bulb is connected to the tail light portion only by way of the brass contact plates.

I would bet the assembly came from a light that had a side marker built in for the small light. It looks like the assembly would snap into a light housing somewhere.....

Looks like a tail light/ TS assembly out of a boat trailer brake light, the square all in one units. You better start marketing that as brighter lights for less before someone steals the idea...
Wonder why they didn't respray the inside with chrome paint when they upgraded?
Jon

Oh ya, looking for a patent as we speak....lol

The inside was sprayed silver before the mod was added.......

This guy gives electrical gurus the heebie-jeebies.

And I swear I had nothing to do with this!

Looks like a tail light/ TS assembly out of a boat trailer brake light, the square all in one units.

That's exactly what it is.

Yesterday after work I had to troubleshoot a non-functioning tail-light/TS on my newly acquired trailer.... and that is the exact same fixture that was behind the lens. The smaller bulb is intended to act as a side marker light and illuminate the side lens of the light housing.

That's ok, I had to fix some of the PO's wiring a couple days ago.

About 6 months ago, my dash lights flickered off and on a few times, then died completely. Finally messed with it Tuesday (been using my mp3 player to illuminate the speedo occasionally at night). Tested the dash light pin in the plug, came up with no voltage. Fuse was good, so I replaced the headlight switch. Test the plug again...nothing. WTH. Start poking around with a test light and wiring diagram, and I stumble across the dash light lead to the stereo. It has a 3/4" portion stripped of insulation, with the end of another wire (which has since been cut) stripped and wrapped around it as a splice. WTH@$%! So this stripped hot wire has been hanging out under the dash since who knows when. It finally rattled against the dash a few times and eventually burned out the circuit breaker in the headlight switch. Pulled the loose wire off, taped the dash light wire up, and voila! Dash lights!

I'd also like to mention that, when I pulled out the old (non-original) stereo a few years ago, I found it wired in with those little twist connectors you use in home wiring.

The PO should never, ever be allowed to do any wiring again. Ugh.

Just as a follow up, Mid and I cleaned, painted, wired, and installed a good set of used tail light buckets and plugs. Now to convince the better half I need the sequential setup.....

Back