• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Package tray ?

RustyRed

I don't believe I have anything holding my package tray down other than maybe the speakers back there...or really the speaker grills.

With the new engine it rattles my package tray when I am sitting at a light and drives me nuts. Only does it when the car is in gear so if I know it's a long light I just slip it into neutral. I think part of the issue may be that I need to turn my curb idle down just a touch but is there supposed to be any kind of bolts or screws holding the thing down or could I simply add some in a less than noticable way?

There are some small clips that hold the stock ones dowm in front. Mustang suppliers have them, just a few bucks for the 4 on my '68 IIRC

I'll have a look for them since I have a few other small parts I would like to order. I have a '66 coupe so I am assuming there is something similar for that year.

It's one of those deals that is not a "big deal" but sitting at a light or even going just the right speed down a road will cause it to rattle some which can be a little annoying.

Not much to the "kit" you could probably source them at Lowes

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=AMK540+01

AMK540-B.jpg

Looking at the picture I believe you're right Rick...I am pretty sure I've seen something similar at the local Sears hardware.

On my 67 coupe, the package tray is retained by two clips behind the rear seatback and two trim screws with bevel washers on the ends. The screws went through the package tray first and then into the top of the quarter trim panel. Do you have these clips? These are on the POS 67 coupe I got from Dave.
72_06_01_10_4_39_05.jpg

Not sure to be honest if I have the clips or not...if I get out to the garage this evening I'll have to pull out the back seat and have a look.

These are on the POS 67 coupe I got from Dave.

Dammit. I forgot to remove something?

Yes, those clips should firmly retain the front edge of the package tray. I'm not sure if they were used on all model years, but I'm guessing that they were. The 64.5 car I worked on last winter had them.

I used the clips in the front, and then glued foam (like the kind used to ship computer hard drives) to the bottom of the packaget tray. This not only prevents any ratttles, but holds it up firmly to the backlite seal so there are no gaps.

I'll need something too!

I too was wondering how I'll affix my package tray. This tray I bought from Laurel Mountain, a hard plastic that I'm sure will "buzz/rattle" when stopped! THose screws that Fast68back should do the trick ; ) ! I just went and looked to see if I had those retainers, but alas, no :( ~ however, no biggy! Rusty, your Stang is looking really great!!!
dne'

IMG_8069.jpg

The easy way to stop rattle's is duck tape. :) Sure, it may sound ghetto. But, it works. I used it on the bottom of my package tray and on the back of my license plate because of my sound system. On the package tray you still have to secure it from the front with those clips.

Back