• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Paint Gun Setup/Cleaning

Hey guys. How long, in general, does it take to set up a paint gun, mix epoxy, and clean up a gun. Obviously, the time will vary a bit if you're new vs experienced, how much you have to paint, etc. But I'm talking just the setup and cleanup time. I've heard stuff about epoxy not sticking to acid so I'm toying with the idea of getting a gun and I can spray every piece as it goes in.

Also, what would you think about spraying parts before they go onto the car? So, order the part, receive it, clean it and hit it with epoxy right away, that way if I don't get to install soon, it's protected. Then when I go to install, clean up where I need to weld, and epoxy over it all again once it's in. Keep in mind most of my work right now will be on the inside and not seen.

Thanks

I assume you are talking about new metal body parts, right? Most (if not all) come already coated for protection. You're going to want to install everything and tweak (and tweak some more) to get all the panels lined up and such long before you want to put on the final coat of epoxy so no worries about spraying them to store until you get to them.

As far as setting up the gun and mixing, etc. it is not much time at all really. Cleaning the gun takes the longest and even then it's minutes not hours. Mixing epoxy/primer/paint is quick...provided you know how to read your measurements. Once you figure out how to decipher the mixing cup it's easy. Take some time to understand the required mix, get your components set out and away you go.

Hmm... Ok. Thanks for the input. Some of the parts I've gotten come with a black coating (basically like a paint), but a few of the ones I've gotten are just metal that have some sort of oil on them. That's why I ask.

Regardless of how the metal comes, it is essential that you scuff them with 350-500 grit scotchbrite pads and then clean each panel carefully with wax/grease remover just before painting. No fingerprints! The panels that come with oil should be cleaned first, then scuffed. The scuffing provides a mechanical layer (called teeth) that allows the epoxy primer to adhere. The process of scuffing and cleaning the panels (and perhaps masking) takes the longest of the painting process (mixing, spraying, cleaning the gun).

Ok. Thanks. I'll have to order some W/G remover and epoxy soon, I guess. I'm making another brace for the other door this week, then I'll probably remove the cowl and get some metal in.

I have another question. How much do you guys normally get done before you prime with epoxy? Will you mix/shoot after every part goes in? Obviously, if it's something that is going to be sealed up, you need to paint before you do that, but what about things that will remain accessible for a while?

Depends on you environment. I can go literally weeks (if not months) with bare metal in my garage without surface rust developing. All depends on time of year and humidity, etc.

"Horseplay" said:
Depends on you environment. I can go literally weeks (if not months) with bare metal in my garage without surface rust developing. All depends on time of year and humidity, etc.

I can go about 13 minutes.

Back