• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Painting dilemma

steveh326

Trying to work out the paint for my 66. Car will be modified, and painted in non-stock colors. I painted up some samples and REALLY like one that I did where I added a 3rd color pinstripe to the outside of the LeMans stripes to make them pop and also make them a little different. I am planning on going with this 3 color scheme... but... I was also planning on adding the GT rocker stripes that came on my car. But I'm trying to work in the pinstripe color to these as well so it all 'flows' and doesn't look like they don't belong together, and for the life of me I am struggling on coming up with any design for the rocker stripes. I am not locked into the traditional rocker stripe layout, just something that is somewhat sympathetic to the original design. I've been cruising ford dealerships and such looking at any rocker stripes I could find.

Other than "paint the car a stock color" or "leave off the rocker stripes" or "WTF are you thinking you moron", are there any other ideas I should consider? I'm going to do up a sample where the top/bottom thin rocker stripes are the pinstripe color and the wider center stripe is the primary lemans stripe color but I think that may end up looking too 'busy'. I've had a few cars and several motorcycles custom painted over the years so I'm not new to this process, just struggling with finalizing this design for some reason.

Using very narrow lines for the 3rd color should look good. A narrow line will go almost undetected at a glance but still show nicely.

How about a pic of the painted samples to help us all see what you like and are trying to match with the side stripe.

THEN maybe we can call you a moron! :yah

"Horseplay" said:
How about a pic of the painted samples to help us all see what you like and are trying to match with the side stripe.

THEN maybe we can call you a moron! :yah

haha MAYBE. Am trying to play my cards a little close to the chest, paint is such a subjective thing some won't like it some will but in the end it only has to satisfy me.

"AzPete" said:
Using very narrow lines for the 3rd color should look good. A narrow line will go almost undetected at a glance but still show nicely.

thanks thats what I have been thinking also. I'm using 1/4" pinstripes on the lemans stripes, and am going to paint a sample and cut the smaller stripes on the rockers down to 1/4" and see how that looks. I didn't leave any gap between the lemans strip and the pinstripe on my 1st sample either, going to do another one where I leave 1/4" gap between the main stripe and the pinstripe and see how that looks. I could emulate that on the rocker stripes. Couple weeks ago I saw a beautiful fastback go across auto auction on tv and thats how it was, but it didn't have any rocker stripes at all, which may be an option I guess. Not the colors I am going with, but it was pearl white, black lemans and dark red pinstripes on the outside of the lemans stripes. It was beautiful (to me).

"steveh326" said:
haha MAYBE. Am trying to play my cards a little close to the chest, paint is such a subjective thing some won't like it some will but in the end it only has to satisfy me.
Are you insinuating that some around here might be opinionated? I hadn't noticed. :roll

Without seeing what you have in mind, I would think if you pinstriped the outside edge (not next to the center stripe) of each of the standard thin rocker stripes you would have a good compliment to the LeMans stripes.

And listen, if pink is your color, it's your color. Who are we to judge? :hide :pbj

"Horseplay" said:
And listen, if pink is your color, it's your color. Who are we to judge? :hide :pbj

Yep, I think the pink car with chartreuse stripes will look good with purple pin stripes.

haha you guys are killin me I love hanging out in this place.

Pink and chartreuse were the colors, how the hell did you guess.

OK OK actually the colors are ford mineral grey base, generic metallic black (almost charcoal) lemans stripes, and a rusty orange pinstripe thats a Nissan stock color. I played with pinstripes in shades of yellow and dark red and to me this orange complemented the undertones in the mineral grey the best. I picked up a set of 17" black TT wheels and wrapped them in Yokohama S-drives. I've got all new suspension parts to install to lower the car. Blasphemy I know but I've never been one to keep anything stock. similar to the E cars but different enough not to copy them. I've got some FG parts to add to the mix, hood, nose and ground effects to change the body lines up a bit. gonna shave all the emblems and black out the grills and maybe some other select parts once I get it back together.

OK I've bared my soul so be kind... lol.

if you are going to outline the lemans stripes w/ 1/4" pinstripes, why not do a scaled down version on the rocker stripes & go with a 1/8" pinstripe. whatever you decide, you will need to keep the layout uniform to keep everything looking like it belongs there & was done at the same time, not an afterthought.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
if you are going to outline the lemans stripes w/ 1/4" pinstripes, why not do a scaled down version on the rocker stripes & go with a 1/8" pinstripe. whatever you decide, you will need to keep the layout uniform to keep everything looking like it belongs there & was done at the same time, not an afterthought.

yep gonna play with a couple samples with smaller pinstripes on the rockers. Looking like an afterthought was exactly what I am trying to avoid and the reason for my 1st post... want everything to flow like it was thought out beforehand. at lunchtime today I saw a new-ish mustang with rocker stripes where the top/bottom were about 1/4" wide and it looked good. I have time to figure it out I'd just like to have it resolved in my head. Thanks.

"AzPete" said:
Sounds like nice colors....

for some yes, for others no, but definately for me yes. I've always liked the E-cars but don't want to do the pepper gray black stripe thing. Something similar but different.

"steveh326" said:
for some yes, for others no, but definately for me yes. I've always liked the E-cars but don't want to do the pepper gray black stripe thing. Something similar but different.

Can't build an E car without several cases of :gs

"silverblueBP" said:
Can't build an E car without several cases of :gs

lol yeah yeah I've read all the posts... :) not building an E car anyway, just like them and their color schemes.

"steveh326" said:
haha you guys are killin me I love hanging out in this place.

Pink and chartreuse were the colors, how the hell did you guess.

OK OK actually the colors are ford mineral grey base, generic metallic black (almost charcoal) lemans stripes, and a rusty orange pinstripe thats a Nissan stock color. I played with pinstripes in shades of yellow and dark red and to me this orange complemented the undertones in the mineral grey the best. I picked up a set of 17" black TT wheels and wrapped them in Yokohama S-drives. I've got all new suspension parts to install to lower the car. Blasphemy I know but I've never been one to keep anything stock. similar to the E cars but different enough not to copy them. I've got some FG parts to add to the mix, hood, nose and ground effects to change the body lines up a bit. gonna shave all the emblems and black out the grills and maybe some other select parts once I get it back together.

OK I've bared my soul so be kind... lol.

What a moron! :sm_NTA

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:

based on some ideas and suggestions in this thread I painted up a few more samples and got it all worked out now, many thanks. Sometimes you get too close to a problem to see the obvious answer and need someone else to point it out to you. now the big hurdle is to get the body ready for paint (and a million other things).

off to Home Depot, I heard they had Great Stuff on sale by the case..... JK... no "Great Stuff' will be harmed in the making of my car.

Back