• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Painting Stainless Trim

I presume you have scuffed the SS to give the paint sufficient teeth to adhere?

Hmmm. them guys on hot rod(speed tv) actually had a clear primer that made paint stick like glue to stainless and aluminum. I was hoping someone else had heard of it. I forgot what it was.

"Fordication" said:
Hmmm. them guys on hot rod(speed tv) actually had a clear primer that made paint stick like glue to stainless and aluminum. I was hoping someone else had heard of it. I forgot what it was.

never saw that episode, but could it have been 'adhesion promoter' thats used on plastic parts? I've got several stainless (and chrome too) parts on my motorcycle that were painted I scuffed them up real good with a DA and then the painter used acid etch primer and 2 years later they still look like new, including the gas cap that gets a ton of use/abuse every time I fill the bike up. the stainless doesn't know whether it's on a bike or a car so I don't think the car would be any different...

Well I got a can of the acid etch primer and some paint yesterday. I will give it a try, after I get the damn chrome polished out first.

Back