• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

parking brake bracket in rear drums

carefact0rzero

after taking apart the brakes the other day i realized i'm missing a part. its the piece that c-clips to the shoe and has the hole on the bottom for the parking brake cable to clip into. i've got it on the pass. side but not the drivers. it has "wagner rh-fd-55271" stamped into it. i've looked on every online mustang place i can think of and i can't find this thing anywhere. any clues on where to find this and what it's called?

It's odd that this piece would be missing. These pieces do not normally wear to the point that they would fail or otherwise need to be replaced. Some previous owner probably just forgot to re-install it.

Since this piece does not usually need replacing, you may have a harder time finding it. I'd put down the Mustang catalogs on this one and contact either AutoZone or NAPA. Wagner was/is a major brake parts manufacturer and that PN should lead you somewhere.

Also, shoot forum member Starfury or Napaguy a private message asking for their assistance. They both work with these parts and have access to the databases/paper catalogs.

Good Luck!

You might also find it at a salvage yard. Do some checking and I would bet that other cars would have the matching piece.

look at the attachment. It's a toyota print out but very similar.

Call out the part you are looking for.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hmmm....

Based upon his initial description, I thought he was looking for this part....

20112226.JPG

I'm unsure of the vehicle application of the above link, but the lever works in the same fashion.... the E-brake cable hooks into one end of the "lever", the lever clips onto one of the pads.... and when the hand brake is actuated, the cable pulls the lever and the lever expands the shoe.

Is this not the part you were looking for?

Sorry I am late to the show....napa does show some brake bars but not for an early mustang application. Something newer may work but I have just got them from the junkyard before. HTH

Worst case scenario..... and I mean the very worst case as you're down to thinking about selling the car because you can't find this part type scenario....

I have a complete 8" drum to drum '68 Mustang 8" rearend with the part on it you need...... but it's buried... almost literally.... underneath my guest house. The rearend was sitting there when I built the guest house and I built the floor/sub-floor right over the rearend. I'd have to do a low crawl under a house and drag out a 200 lb rearend while on my belly to get the part you need.

Please don't ask me unless you're VERY desperate! There's probably a million spiders and other creepy crawlies under there by now.....

Dave, just crawl on your belly like a reptile. At worst case, I can probably find that bracket at my local Mustang wrecking yard if you can't find one locally.

haha, i wouldnt do that to you dave. i found a place that i'm gonna go look at tomorrow, and if there's nothing there, maybe i can get the sheetmetal shop at my base to fab something up for me...

Back