• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Performance muscle car cold air kits - Reducing under the Hood heated air via open air cleaner.

Good afternoon,

Since summer 2022 is coming soon, I got to thinking about the cold air induction the modern auto enjoys. We all know that the cold air helps produce more horsepower and maybe a little bit more gas mileage. I started to research Performance muscle car cold air kits and found the Spectre Performance brand. I found this Motor Trend article.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mdmp-0808-spectre-performance-cold-air-kit-install/

Spectre Air Box and Air Cleaner-

https://www.spectreperformance.com/cat/air-boxes

V6/V8 Throttle Body Injection & Carb Air Box

https://www.spectreperformance.com/cat/air-intake-systems-universal-other

I have read that some of these kits have low base plates that may restrict the air flow. Also, they are not completely seal at the bottom.

Has anybody used any of these products? Has anybody come up with their own design? What do you think?

View attachment 34390

None of those are worth the ugliness they bring under the hood. You're also not really losing enough power to make it worthwhile. The claims you read about in most "cold air intake" ads is a lot of BS. Yes, there is a bit to gain but not nearly what is typically claimed. You can find plenty of real test data to prove most are false/embellished.

What you can do if you're concerned about under hood intake air temps is make adjustments to raise the back of your hood a bit. Let that cool fresh air rush right though the grill and exit at the rear pulling a lot of that heat with it.

Also, put on the largest diameter and tallest open element air cleaner you can fit under hood. Stick to good old fashioned paper type elements too. They flow better than many of the modern oil saturated styles that are popular.

None of those are worth the ugliness they bring under the hood. You're also not really losing enough power to make it worthwhile. The claims you read about in most "cold air intake" ads is a lot of BS. Yes, there is a bit to gain but not nearly what is typically claimed. You can find plenty of real test data to prove most are false/embellished.

What you can do if you're concerned about under hood intake air temps is make adjustments to raise the back of your hood a bit. Let that cool fresh air rush right though the grill and exit at the rear pulling a lot of that heat with it.

Also, put on the largest diameter and tallest open element air cleaner you can fit under hood. Stick to good old fashioned paper type elements too. They flow better than many of the modern oil saturated styles that are popular.
Hello Terry, I was never a big fan of the oil saturated filters. Maybe I am trying to over think here. Also, Carroll Shelby had the right idea about inserting the vents to the rear of the hood. I will keep my current configuration.

Thanks

David

I think the Rings Brothers did a '67 with gills ala the C2 Vette to extract heat. Great look but I'm not cutting up my '67.

The only cold air intake for a Mustang I ever cared for was a setup like what came stock on 1985 GT's. I have an 86 with this setup and probably enough parts to do one on my 67 or 69 but I don't believe the real world benefit to be anywhere near worth bothering with. I always liked how it picked up actually cool air from way outside the engine compartment. Back in the day people even extended the air ducts to up under the bumper, trying to a achieve a ram air effect.
81eshY9OkpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back