• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Picked up a new toy

JeffTepper

While i will admit to being somewhat half a$$ed in my efforts to replace my '67, I finally pulled the trigger yesterday. It is a well optioned California native '70 Cougar XR7 convertible, nice driver condition with some needs. Previous owner had it for nearly 30 years and is downsizing in prep for his upcoming retirement. I have a 30 year deep stack of maintenance receipts that I expect I will be combing over as time permits to flush out the car's past life. Once I dust it off I will post some pics, In the mean time, here is the Marti Report:

70 Cougar Marti Report 3-23-20 2.jpg

Very cool. I do like the old cougars. Plus a convertible too.

Can't wait to see some pics!

What are the plans for it?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Not from 90210, but from 90211. Still Beverly Hills. Also waiting for pics.

fd

Congratz Jeff. Nice car. License plate 70CAT ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Congratz Jeff. Nice car. License plate 70CAT ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Bruno:

Thanks. That plate belongs to the prior owner. It goes away tomorrow. I'm currently trying to find an available plate configuration that works for me. In the mean time just regular sequence plates will suffice.

Regards, Jeff

If he gives up that personal plate you should be able to get it in black.
I am trying to decide whether to go for the YOM (year of manufacture) or Legacy plates. On the YOM, the regs say year model (and not the actual year of manufacture) determines what plate series is permitted with 1969 being the current determining factor. Even though the car was built and first sold in November 1969, the black plates were transitioning to blue around then so it is hard to confirm which color plate it got originally. Nonetheless, it is a 1970 year model so YOM says 6 character blue. Note that the car wore 7 character blue plates from the early 1980's when my predecessor got it in 1990 and those plates were superseded by the personal plates currently assigned to the car. , As I understand it, the YOM option would likely be an early 6 character blue plate, "A" or "B" series. Putting this into context, I had a 1969 year model car first sold and registered in June of 1969 that was assigned a number from the black plate "Z" series. My son's '70 Skylark wears its original blue plates from the "B" series. Over the years I've had 4 cars with "E" series blue plates all first registered in 1971 so I would expect that plates issued in 1970 were likely from the "A", "B", or "C" series. I need to talk to Frank to see if he has anything I might be able to use.

If he turns that personal plate in and assuming you want the same couldn't you just order it in black? Or get a personalized plate of your choosing in black?

While the existing personal plate is up for grabs and I can apply for it if I want, but I am not interested in keeping that particular plate. If I can find an available personal plate that works for me, I will do the Legacy program like you did on the Vette.

Back