• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pink resistor wire jumper. Causing me problems!

Ok, so the last time my motor died unexpectedly, it was traced back to the jumper wire to the + terminal on my coil.
It still starts and runs, but I'm having a mean case of bad idle/stumble/richness issue. Nothing has changed on my motor.
The hesitation/stumble is at idle and runs up to about 15-2k rpm, then it runs fine all thru the rpm range. I don't have a tach, so I can't be specific.

I'm wondering, is it possible that this jumper wire has a small short causing the stumble, then as the rpms increase, that short becomes less apparent because there's a stronger current thru the ignition system?

I'm thinking I may need to re-do this jumper. Right now, I'm using a quick-splice terminal to jump off the orig wire off the ign switch and I have new wire going thru the firewall to the + coil terminal. Any tips on pulling the wire cluster off the back of the switch? Should I just butt splice the 2 wires for the best connection?

Thanks.

Do a proper splice under the dash..crimp splice and shrink tube...no other way to be sure of a good connection.

Also, you could do a temp. setup under the hood to see if it runs better. Disconnect the wire you have run at the coil and just run a wire from an ign. on hot wire to the coil. If the car runs better, your other wire is a problem. If no difference, you have other problems.....maybe a bad coil.

I highly doubt it is something related with the resistor wire. Voltage in the ignition system is same weather it is idling or spinning 6,000 RPMS.

You can double check this by hooking a voltmeter to the '+' side of the coil and increasing the rpms...voltage will be the same.

I would look into issues with your carb. What kind of carb are you using?

Back