• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

pink resistor wire? resides where? 1 wire alt upgrade recommendation?

since i've been having issues getting my '67 coupe to run consistently, i've rebuilt the carb, installed a new tank and thought i was on my way to cruising bliss. but then my car died several times on a cruise around the 'hood. a local mustang shop asked if my coil/dist was getting a full 12v connection. i don't know. i think so. how could i check? i borrowed a meter thingy. the shop told me to look for a pink resistor wire, but in following my + coil terminal, i could only find a red wire w/a green stripe. that goes all the way to a pigtail coming out of the firewall and it joins to another red/green wire, no pink.

is this phantom pink wire under the dash only? is there a way i can use the meter to check the voltage going thru the line? i guess i could stab the pigtail coming out and touch the + terminal? i don't want to fry anything, so your help is appreciated.

maybe my alternator is dead? any tips on brand? amp output 100 or 140?

thanks.

Rather than trying to trace wires, why not put the key in RUN and measure the voltage at the coil? It will either read about 9 or 12V (with or without the resistor wire) or 0 if it happens to be in a certain location of the distributor. If so, simply turn the engine a bit.

Or run the engine and measure voltage...

Back