• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Plastic mount for HL relays, distribution block?

Jonk67

I am looking for a hard plastic panel/plate to mount my headlight relays and distribution block for my wires up front. I figure it's better not to use metal as an extra precaution.

Min. size would be 3"W x 8"L, bigger is Ok I guess I can always cut it down. Is there something I can pick up local at HD or Lowes, hardware store, etc.? I figure ~1/4" thick ABS? would do, just so I can drill holes and it would be stiff enough to hold the electrical pieces. I walked HD isles tonight but didn't spot anything that would work.
Jon

I've had no luck finding such things at hardware type stores. You'll need to go to a plastic supply house or order online. Charlotte has two supply houses, but both require full sheet purchases. I've done that a few times, but also have ordered online. Here's one that sells smaller sheets, lots more out there.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=335

I'd stick with black ABS - better heat resistance. I've used it often for underhood type assemblies, and it can be molded easily with a heat gun. If you want to try some thinner stuff, I can send you some 1/8 from the last sheet I bought.

I'm amazed someone hasn't made something like what I have shown below here in the states. I've been looking for some presentable way to mount relays and found the following from the UK:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Way-Splash-Proo ... 27bc15e5c1

AF648F6E0AB041D1BA381260C5DB67D4.JPG

That is a neat relay box Buening, would be nice if I were doing just relays. Thanks for all the ideas guys, I think I found what I'm looking for locally so I can save shipping and get it tonight at - guess where? Radio Shack! It is a Tandy co. you know:

pRS1C-2160194w345.jpg

They call it a 'project enclosure' and they come 8"LX6"WX3H" for ~$8 or 7"X5"X3" for $7 and have smaller sizes:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062285
Looks perfect for what I'm doing, I can drill it, put rubber seals where the wires will pass through and a removable lid.

2nd choice was a submersible trailer light 8"X3"X~3"? low profile for $16 at Northern Tool:

127968_lg.jpg

Jon

Not sure what all you will be putting into your box but bear in mind that the relay coils and such will generate heat when operating. While focusing on protecting things from the elements you would also help things to survive longer by engineering a bit of airflow as well.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'm looking at mounting it underneath the battery tray, I may look at adding some venting away from tire splash.
Jon

The relays & such don't really need much protection - lots of factory cars had them exposed with no issues.

Yeah, the relays I got from Waytek are HD waterproof but I really just want to hide as much as I can and I need to hide/protect the distribution block anyway. Since it'll feed the relays I figured I'd put them both in the same box. I picked up the 7"X5"X3"H box and think I'll cut it shorter to 2"H or 1.5" H as that's all I'll need and it'll tuck better. Looks like this ABS will cut with a fresh razor knife blade to take the extra off and I'll still be able to use the lid/screws.
Jon

Back