• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Point setting?

Mach1Rider

:EB... I started out just going to change the spring for the Vs on the carb, so off it came to make it simple to work on. :ecit
Then the while I'm at it hit me.
Lets change the oil... 9qts and a filter later...shot 50 bucks :sad
So now I add the StreetFire Ign box that was sitting on a shelf to her.

I'm running a Mallory duel point mech adv dist.
Following the instructions on the install and removed the trailing set of points. (they are still installed just not wired, so if I ever need a set)
But no where does it say what the point gap or dewell angle should be set to.
Now it starts and runs just fine without any change to the .016 gap on the remaining points.... :vic
But, Does anyone know what the best setting should be?
I did call MSD tech.... But they are off today for employee day? :craz

ollowing the instructions on the install and removed the trailing set of points. (they are still installed just not wired, so if I ever need a set)
But no where does it say what the point gap or dewell angle should be set to.
so your not using the second set of points? That kinda defeats the purpose of having a dual point set-up. The purpose of the dual points is to increase the dwell to give the coil more time to build up energy and allow wider point gaps to more easily break the primary current.

A standard Ford single point distributor has about 28° dwell with a .014" point gap. A Ford dual point has 33° with a .019" gap. IIRC

OK, I have the vacuum advance dual point. It is running a single set, not that it matters as I don't have the coil to power the dual set. I ran duals for years in the 80s on a 66. I like the one you have and if I were you I would add the second set. IIRC from deep in the back of my brain, you cap the points to .020. I can't remember the Dwell, I seem to remember setting them around the mentioned 33 by Craig2.

I do like the Mallory dual Point setup. I plan on putting in a high output coil in the 65 and the second set of points. I will go electronic on the 67 though.

HTH,

Mel

You don't need, and won't use the second set of points with the Hi-Fire. You are now electronic. You don't have or need EITHER set of points now. You can gap those points to what ever you want ... they still aren't hooked up, and you're still not using them.

Welcome to modern technology. Leave the dual points back in the 80's where they belong.

You funny guy, John...

Just a question or two. I did not set up the dizzy in the 65, so I need to know...I have one set of points and a Pertronix higher end coil. Do I just add the MSD stuff to make it Electronic?

How does that work?

Mel

:rp... Well looks like I'm going to be stuck in the 80's.

After countless start ups and tuning time the ignition was working great.
Took it out for a short 20 mile spin and all is good running great and new secd spring is perfect.
Pull into the workshop and turn it off, return 10 mins later and NO START! :fbomb

Seems after all the tests are done from the instructions, The box is bad.

3 hours tayloring the install and wiring for 30 minutes of run time.
Last time I had to gap the points was 8000 miles ago. Now I remember why I don't want electronics on my Mach1. :sad

"Mach1Rider" said:
Now I remember why I don't want electronics on my Mach1. :sad

I haven't had any points in any of my Mustangs since 1990. Points are old technology that are not as reliable, and not nearly as performance oriented. I'd replace the box and move into the modern world. You'll be glad that you did.

I converted my first Mustang to Duraspark II ignition in the late 80's and this one I have now in the early 90's. It has been very reliable. In fact a ancient coil I was running finally failed last year and that was the first time I had to do anything with the ignition in almost 20 years.

Well the StreetFire box is off the car and reboxed going back to MSD for repair.
Re connected the wiring back to original duel point set up and engine fires and runs perfectly.

As far as going to Electronic's on this car. :dh

I read way too many posts on engine won't start/ignition trouble for me to reinstall it
only to have me stranded along side the road somewhere and not be able to walk in any parts store
to get it running again.

In all my years of driving and working on engines, I have only had one failure from point set ign problems
and that was just a bad condenser that happen to stop working in front of a Ford Dealership.
After spending under 2 bucks it was running again. :)

You can do the electronic without the MSD stuff. I had the Pertronix conversion stuff on a stock distributor some time back on the 67.

Mel

Back