• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Poor choice, minor setback

steveh326

well ,a few years ago I went with SSBC front disk brakes. Can't remember the exact reason why but that's what I did. Last Feb I ordered the matching SSBC rear disk kit from Summit. Back order, back order, more back order. Finally determined last week that SSBC is out/going out of business. No SSBC rear disks for me.

looks like now I need to swap out the front disks for a set of Wilwoods. About a grand worth of rework and financial setback on getting the rears done. Good news tho is that it gives me the opportunity to upgrade the 4 piston fronts to 6 piston. Bad news is that it looks like the Wilwood rears all have positive offset, and I am already maxxed out on tire/fender clearance, so not sure how that is gonna go.

o well, shit happens, gotta deal with it and move on. in theory, I could continue to run the front brakes I have and the rear drums, but my stopping power is right on the edge of unacceptable to me and I would like it to be better for my wife when she drives the car.

Hold up. Why swap out the front? They work well, right? 4 or 6 piston on your car is not even an issue. Those brakes are fine. And why do you have to go Wilwood out back? I presume the only reason to swap the front is to match the planned Wilwood out back so just don't go Wilwood. Don't get me wrong as I love my Wilwoods as they work great and look even better but you don't need to go this way. Plenty of much cheaper options for the rear and you don't have to worry about matching so you save replacing the front. You're going to spend an easy couple grand going the Wilwood route. Likely more like $2500-3k by the time you're done. That's not including if you need new wheels to change the offset, etc.

I think you are making a costly mistake. You can get a rear disc conversion kit for hundreds not thousands and be done and have increased your stopping power.

I know Terry it's crazy... its my anal retentive side coming out I think... not sure if I can live with 2 diff calipers showing... :( this all transpired in the last 2 days, I'll sleep on it for a while... The rears were supposed to be a project last spring as I ordered them back in Feb, but now I will probably wait till winter for the rears and/or whatever else I decide to do.

maybe some red paint will make the rear calipers close enuf that I'll forgot about them... lol... hell maybe even an SSBC stencil for the 'other' rear calipers...

what other rear kits do you know about that I can take a look at?

Just about every mustang parts vendor has options. So do all the generic houses like Summit. You can get a kit with parking brake set-up complete with even a pair of flex lines for like $400. All these kits are simply a stock Ford caliper with custom brackets. Easy to get replacement parts at any local store. And don't paint them red. Please. It's a mustang not a Honda. :p

I am with Terry here but you can also look around if there is still a SSBC kit around. USA is great (again) !! ;)

Just run Slat Flat style wheels and then you can't see the calipers.

Have you seen salt flat style wheels on a mustang? Not a good look if you ask me. Now a modern rendition of such is EXACTLY what I plan for the old F1

Wilwood 6 pistons installed on the front today... woo freakin hoo…

Terry, I went with purple powdercoat so I could blend in with the Honda civics... (just kidding, black)

Rear disks and eaton tru track with 3.80 gears have been ordered. winter upgrades might be done by November !

There is a possibility that the truetrac will make some noise the first few miles. Mine did and after 60Km it was gone.

Do we have to ask? PICS!

lol. not much to look at but here it is.

I am stoked... got 2 mustang specific events coming up. Maryland mustangs is having a cruise and picnic on the 20th that wifey and I are going on. Frederick Mustangs is having an all mustang car show on the 26th to finish up the season. Frederick Mustangs is mostly kids with newer cars, but they're a good bunch of folks, and I told them grandpaw and the old gray mare would be there.

Attachments

• Brakes 1.jpg
    Brakes 1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 20
Back