• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Popcorn poppers

caspian65

SWMBO is asking for an "old-timey" popcorn popper for Christmas. I've looked at a few models out there and it seems that the Great Northern 8oz is probably good for home use. I have 2 problems with this though:

-I don't really want to put something this big in the kitchen area. It will look gaudy and distracting, both the counter-top and the cart style.

-If I put it upstairs in our TV room, I'm afraid it will make a big mess and the room will permanently wreak of popcorn!

:sm_anyone

Me three. We have that same popper and really like it. I have to admit that we use microwave popcorn most of the time. :hide

Well, I followed the wisdom here at the fix and bought my wife the whirley pop setup. Was about 20 bucks at bed bath and beyond. Went in the store and couldn't find it, asked a kid that worked there if they have them, he said it would have to be ordered on their website. As I was walking out the door, there was a freakin stack of about 50 of them sitting there. Snagged one and restrained myself from calling out the dumbass worker.

So, I had rationalized that the whirley pop was the best compromise. It would make popcorn quick, isn't some gaudy looking thing that sits in the kitchen and not one of those obscene things with the wheels. SWMBO was happy with the gift and more so after I explained the other options and how they didn't fit well.

Christmas day, my in-laws drive to our house. My FIL says he has a big box in the truck... yep, one of those big-ass popcorn makers with the friggin' wheels! Of course, I didn't want that thing in the downstairs kitchen, so now it sits in the TV room upstairs. I guess it's not all that bad, but SWMBO already says that she is a little sick of popcorn for now. Of course, the kids love it. There was enough popcorn scattered throughout the house to make a serving size bag... ugh!

I gave my sister one of those (Whirly Pop) for Christmas. She likes to get kettle corn at the farmer's market, so I got her the popper, some mushroom popcorn (look it up, it's what they use for kettle corn) and some coconut oil. I had bought one for myself first to make sure it worked as expected.

I ordered some of the goodies from Whirley Pop and got an email with a discount code.

Thought I'd share -

Happy New Year! We're celebrating 2013 by giving you 13% off everything on WhirleyPopShop.com! Order some of your favorite popcorn, oils and toppings now, save on a Whirley Pop gift set for a friend or relative or get ready to party in 2013 with our selection of popcorn-optimized party supplies! Shop before January 6, 2013 and use coupon code WP13 when you check out!

My wife would say "Just what we need.....another kitchen gadget" Since Bed Bath & Beyond is next door to a hardware store that I'm going to today.......and since they have the popper in stock.......

I saw this thread before Christmas and I ended buying one for Jen for Christmas. She loves watching movies at home and always has to have popcorn. She was skeptical at first. So I made a batch on Christmas as soon as she opened it.

Best Christmas present I have gotten her in years. She loves it. I ran a movie theater about 20 years ago and I can tell you it pretty much is exactly how we made the popcorn.

Back