• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Post from vmf on my 64 Stang trunk floor pans

slingslingbinks

I'm in the process of going ahead and replacing both side trunk floor pans while i have the tail light panel out, I suspect other's have done this, But what a burger it was to get to the spot welds between the frame rail and the inner wheel house. I didn't want to drill holes with the spot weld cutter from the wheel side so i got up in there with a 4 inch cut off wheel and ground down the spot welds and popped them loose. And on the front of the trunk floor pan there is a triple spot weld, once again with out cutting from the wheel side i managed to get the spot weld to pop free. I found that this car was rear ended and the tail light panel was already replaced and some one tried to pull the trunk floor pan back into place with a hook inserted at the front of the trunk bumper brace and ripped the floor on the right side and there was a huge crease in the left side. Heres some pictures of the process so far. While i have the frame rail's exposed i will clean them up and por15 them. I also have to replace the old beat up rear cross member. C-ya Scott

Sence i'd already tore into the trunk floor pan's and i'm still not sold on the fact that the frame rail's might be bent, i decided to rip the rear end and lief spring's from my 65 Stang donar and make a tool to check my frame rail alignment on the 64. So i jacked up the 65 and started to Try and remove the lief spring bolt's. A blue wrench was needed on the rear's and i got the nut's off the front, But the bolt had siezed to the metal sleeve in the bushing. So i cut the rubber out of the way and used a 4 inch cut off wheel on my angle grinder and cut 1/2 way through the sleeve and the bolt. Turned the bolt and done the other half. now the lief spring is out, Can't say much for the bolt, sleeve and bushing that's still in the spring. Then i took a 3 inch square tube and drilled a hole through it and added a 1/2 flat washer to one side to shim it up and welded another long 1 inch square thick wall pipe to it and lay'd it out the back of the car and bent it to match the frame rail, and out the back to the rear lief spring hanger. Then i welded tab's to the 1 inch pipe to touch the frame and some that will slide down the sides of the frame. I also made an attachment to the back on the end to help me align the tail light panel. And i got tired of holding my arm's up to work under it so i made a 22 inch tall boy creeper. I hope the pictures tell the story and the tool do's align with the frame on the 64.

Attachments

• Another view of the right trunk floor pan removed.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Tail light panel and part of the trunk floor pan's removed to inspect frame rails.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Right trunk floor pan drop off area.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 73
  • A jig i made to measure the 64 Stang rear frame rail.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Another picture of the frame measuring jig.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Another pic. of the frame jig.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 21
After further checking i found the rear of the frame rail bent at the area of the rear shackle about 3/8 to 7/16 of an inch. I rigged up a puller and massaged the dent out and now it's ok. Here are some pictures of the right trunk floor pan fit to the quarter panel in the trunk drop off area. Note that my frame alignment tool is still in place. Tomorrow i should have the left trunk floor pan out all the way and get the trunk floor pan fit on that side. Then i plan to fit the rear cross member and the tail light panel before i start welding in the trunk floor pans. C-ya Scott

Attachments

• Close up of the frame jig. Note the tab is right on the frame..jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 17
The only draw back is it will only check the rear frame for being bent. I suspect i will have the same issue on the left side, that's the side the pan was creased. I spent 2 day's making the 2 jig's with removing the axle from the donar body and i still have to put the axle back in the donar to move it back to it's parking spot. But i do have a spair 6 cyc. axle i could slap into to keep the v-8 axle, But no 4 lug rim's and tires for the axle. C-ya Scott

Here's an update on the trunk floor pan's. I picked up 2 dynacorn trunk floor pan's and test fit them and found the trunk drop down's won't reach the bottom of the quarters. So i made up a small jack to jack them into place and clamped them down. Then i noticed they don't fit flat on the frame rails. Talking to others and called NPD and there trunk floor pans have longer drop down's. So i returned the dynacorn's and ordered the ones from npd. Noe i noticed that the ones from npd have the 68 style vent in the front of the drop down's and the square hole and also the gromet for the wires to the back up light's is in the wrong spot. So i made some plug's and welded them in the holes and now i need to punch a 1 inch hole in the correct spot for the back up light harness using the old drop down as a guide.

Attachments

• This is how far the right trunk drop off was before i got it fit in place.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 9
Back