• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Power Steering 1968

budro574

Good afternoon!!

I'm new to the forum. I am trying to get odds and ends squared away before completing a resto on the Mustang. Engine is running perfect, stops, and drives. The original power steering system leaked from everywhere thanks to an oil change performed at PepBoys. Technician added some power steering fluid during an oil change, while my wife was out cruising. After getting back from a trip, I noticed that she was bleeding from every orifice.

Figured it was time to replace some suspension anyway. Springs, joints, rods, and bushings, along with all power steering components.

Couple things:

The new pin fell out of the bar that traveled to the passenger side. The hole is still in the same spot of the control valve, so i don't know if its effected steering. I've ordered a new one ($6.00, lmfao), but I can't seem to drill out whatever is still in the hole. Looks like a small piece of the old one is still broken off inside. Think I'll need to buy a new centerlink? Cheapest I've found was $95. Anybody have a good place to check?

The nut to the old control valve was jacked up, so I used another nut (less small arms at the top of it.) I can't seem to find the nut online. Anyone here point me in the right direction?

Welcome to the fix!

Post a pic of the pin, that may make it more clear. The old steering assist systems are prone to leak. I pulled mine out and drive it without the assist.

Otheres here maybe more help. I have not messed with one of those systems is almost 15 years.

NPD is usually a good source for decent quality stock restoration parts. Also have quite an inventory on hand for fast delivery. Once I know a particular branded part number I typically do a couple broad internet searches to try and find the best combination of price/service and delivery.

If not a pure restoration type project car you might really consider upgrading from the stock PS. Not at all a great system to begin with there are a number of better options out there. Many of us have a Borgeson powerbox set-up and lately guys are gravitating to electric steering. Not much cost difference between fully replacing with stock vs the newer stuff.

I have thought about electric steering, I’m still considering it. I purchased a power assist, slave, and power steering pump, so thought I should try to make this system work before pulling the trigger. Wife has sentimental value to the car, so she really wants to keep it as original as possible. Problem is that it has spent its entire life in NJ.

Could someone recommend an electric kit?
welcome!
I have the EPAS setup on my 67. https://epasperformance.com/ I've had it now for a few years. I had the spear-o-matic gearbox so I had more modifications. In fact I used a 68 steering column on my conversion. Anyway, if you need more info or pics or whatever, let me know.
I also have a tote with all the old junk I took off. It's been in storage a long time because I did like John and removed it back in the 90's and just ran it as manual steering. But if you can provide some pics of what your looking for I can dig through the junk and see if I have it. It's yours for free if I have it

Wow, I had no idea EPAS was even an option for our cars. That totally changes my plans for steering...

I wouldn’t go hydraulic PS after have electric. It’s clean, quiet and nothing under the hood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back