• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Primer?

wayjon0

I'm about ready to media blast my car and will be spraying a coat of primer shortly after. I figured I would go ahead and order my primer and body filler today, but I read somewhere that body filler didn't stick to epoxy primer. So now I'm unsure which primer I should use. It will be bare metal and I will still be doing sheet metal work after I prime it. I just wanted to get something on it so I didn't have to worry about flash rust.

+1 on body filler over epoxy. not sure who's products you are using, but i highly recommend SPI for the primers & clearcoats. i switched over to their product line a few years ago & couldn't be happier. the quality is top notch & prices are way more affordable than anyone else. they offer free shipping on orders too, which is a plus.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/SPI%20News.htm

DPxxLF epoxy primer is considered the standard against all other primers are compared. The "xx" is a number that designates a particular color. This epoxy primer is easy to apply, and is basically bullet-proof. Yes, body filler can be applied over it.

In over 12 years doing this stuff, I have yet to hear a bad word about this product, except for its removal of lead (LF is "lead-free"). Even so, it is the gold standard of epoxy primers.

Back