• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Problem with rear drum brakes, I'm out of ideas.

Well shit. I bought the drivers side backing plate and parts and installed them today. I was sure my problem was fixed, but no.
After getting the new parts on, I put the wheel on and just as before, it no longer rotates. I was so disgusted, I closed the shop and left.

Now I have one side normal and one still f’d up. Back to the drawing board.

Or a case of Tannerite.

Mark

That bites, sorry to hear.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Sure wish one of you fellas could find it in your heart to come fix this for me.

Mark

Sure wish one of you fellas could find it in your heart to come fix this for me.

Mark
You could be like Terry and just go out and buy a complete new rear end, drum to drum. That should fix it, you can Thank me later.

You could be like Terry and just go out and buy a complete new rear end, drum to drum. That should fix it, you can Thank me later.

Funny you say that!

I took the axles to Quick Performance here in Ames yesterday so they could make me a new set. Talked to one of their "Tech" guys and after explaining the problem he said to bring him all the parts and they'll check it all out in-house. They have lots of 9" rear housing and they'll put it together there and see what the damn problem is. God knows I've exhausted every other option!

been following your problem. frustrating I know for something that seems like it ought to be straightforward to find but nothing works out... good luck in your quest, will be waiting to hear that it's fixed !

Are you certain the removal of emergency brake parts/equalizer bar has not affected the geometry or back spacing of the shoes in some way?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Are you certain the removal of emergency brake parts/equalizer bar has not affected the geometry or back spacing of the shoes in some way?

crossed my mind too. And.....the brake shoes must rest against the "tabs" of the backing plate. IMHO.

It 100% has NO effect. I run the same brakes as Mark. The big Porterfield shoes just don't work...period. I sent the shoes back to Porterfield where they rearced them to the exact specifications of my rear drums. Still a NO go. I modified the Porterfield linings by removing about 1" of material at both ends of the front shoe to exactly match the OEM linings with the big brake kit. Still a NO go. Its possible that several 100 miles of wear could have some effect, but I didnt have time to test.

If it locks up once the lug nuts are tightened, then u are unable to rotate the wheel, I suspect no witness marks will be left.
Have you tried tightening little by little while turning wheel until it starts to bind/rub then turn wheel in the hope it leaves witness marks. Remove wheel/drum and investigate.. ?

If it locks up once the lug nuts are tightened, then u are unable to rotate the wheel, I suspect no witness marks will be left.
Have you tried tightening little by little while turning wheel until it starts to bind/rub then turn wheel in the hope it leaves witness marks. Remove wheel/drum and investigate.. ?

Believe me when I say...Every stone was turned over on this one. The culprit is the R4 shoes. Now the unanswered question is What the hell did Porterfield do!

Back