• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Protection

Hey guys. If no one minds, I'd like for you guys to list what PPE (personal protective equipment) you guys use and what activity you use it for.

I've been doing a lot more in the garage and I start to wonder about the crap I'm breathing, etc.

Example:

Grinding: respirator, glasses, shield, ear plugs

PPE?

Who called the fun police?

Kidding

Big things for me are ear pro, eye pro, and gloves. Respirator when painting or blasting.

Couple times I've been doing something and think " if this goes bad I'm stuck out here by myself... so a "spotter," even if they don't touch anything, could be something to think about. Context on this was car going on and off the rotisserie.

Sent from my HTC EVO using tapatalk.

I have a welding jacket and hat that I got when I took my class, and I always wear gloves because I'm constantly banging my knuckles on stuff. I *usually* have glasses on but sometimes it gets so hot (especially in the summer) that they fog up. I might look into getting a nice pair.

The two areas of most concern to me are my eyes and lungs.

Safety glasses can be a pain at times but if you ever saw someone lose an eye to flying crap you would "suffer" through wearing them.

I also try to get as much ventilation as possible in the garage when I am grinding and especially welding and painting. If I'm doing a lot of painting I will put on a mask/respirator and exit the area to let the fumes die down once and a while.

Bloody knuckles are part of the fun of working on cars!

Grinding: Face shield, respirator, gloves, ear plugs, heavy sleeve (dug a piece of wheel out one time)
Welding (mig or stick) - welding helmet, respirator, heavy cotton jacket, cotton pants, heavy leather gloves
Welding (TIG)- welding helmet, log sleeve shirt (no slag, but a nasty sunburn) , TIG gloves
drilling, chisels, BFH - safety glasses
Painting - full face cartridge type respirator

Back