• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pulling the trigger

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I need a metal shear that will make straight cuts. I remember a foot-operated guillotine at the VoTech place where I learned how to weld, but googling them indicates they are out of my price range. My work will be fairly small, so I'm about to pull the trigger on this gizmo for $66: a plate shear that can handle up to 5/32" thick steel (7 gauge). This is not a bad price; larger models go up to $109.

From www.grizzly.com:

h0731.jpg

That is cool. I need one of those too but I have one at the office and they let me use it. Therefore a metal break is the next thing on my list.

There's a bunch of 3 in 1 metal tools for $300+, but they take up a lot of room.

I need a bigger Garage Majal. *sigh*

Although not a grizzly, I have the 8" version of that shear and like it a lot... it cuts 1/8" flats stock like butter.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Plate-S ... 3100 I think the only difference between mine and the grizzly are the colors.

If your planning to cut a lot curves in sheetmetal then a throatless shear would be better choice for cutting inside curves. The plate shear is fine for straight cuts and outside curves, but that's about it.

"Midlife" said:
There's a bunch of 3 in 1 metal tools for $300+, but they take up a lot of room.

I need a bigger Garage Majal. *sigh*

i had a 3 in 1 in the old shop. wasn't worth the space it took up. the shear was o.k for really thin small pieces but wouldn't hardly scratch a piece of 18ga. the brake, since it worked at an angle being on the upper end of the shear blade, would brake 90 deg. at one end & about 60 deg on the other.

needless to say, i replaced it in the new shop with a 48" box & pan brake & a 38" foot shear. much happier now. still planning on getting one of those plate shears though. the equipment place i've been buying from has a pile of them in the showroom.

Back