• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Pulsing lights.....

AzPete

Yep, my '66 decided to start this a couple days ago. No matter what speed the engine was running or what lights were on, I could see a steady pulse in the lights at night. The next day, I notices the pulsing reading on the volt meter with no lights on plus I was at almost 16 volts. Seemed like the points of the regulator were open/closing when getting warm. Hmmm, not the normal light switch/regulator type situation. I got to checking and found the plug to the regulator just barely hanging on to a connection. Just a slight touch would cause the power changes so I plugged it in again (thinking I must have bumped it when I changed the oil) and all felt good and the volt meter read good. Then, as I crossed some tracks downtown, my volt meter went from 14 volts to 12....not good. I stopped and checked....regulator plug was partially out again. In the parking lot, I managed to tighten the female connectors in the plug so there is a tighter fit on the male pins of the regulator. I will pull the pins out and do a better job in the near future but it is working good now.

This is just a little solution for a problem that someone might run across.

Try bending the pins on the VR so they make a more positive contact with the connector; often times, the slip fit is just that: slippery!

I can see where the pins in the connector have spread. I just need to remove them from the connector and pinch them a bit tighter. At first, I thought it was on the VR too but after a careful parking lot exam, it is the connector. Five min. fix, just have to do it.....

Finished the job this morning. Got the pins out and cleaned and tightened them. Now, all is solid and tight and the volt meter shows no changes when wiggling the plug. Hardest part was unlocking those darn pins. Love the free fixes.....

Back