• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

QA1 - TS402 Stocker Star Single Adjustable

All,

I have decide to go with the QA1 TS-402 front shocks to replace the Monroe 5823ST OESpectrum shocks. I hope to have them installed very soon once they arrive. The Monroe's have less than 500 miles on them.

1614771455036.png

with this!
1614771723026.png

I would guess you are making the change because the Monroe's aren't adjustable? I know everyone raves about Bilstein's gas shocks but Eaton Springs says they are the wrong shock for our type of suspension and we should stick with hydraulics- like the QA1's. Please let us know how you like them.

I would guess you are making the change because the Monroe's aren't adjustable? I know everyone raves about Bilstein's gas shocks but Eaton Springs says they are the wrong shock for our type of suspension and we should stick with hydraulics- like the QA1's. Please let us know how you like them.
Hello Mach1 Driver,

I have 17 inch Bullitt wheels with the 245/ 45 -17 tires. The ride was not quite what I expected. Since our mustangs were designed to run on tires with taller side walls, and after much research, it looks the Monroe's were not the right choice. If I had 15 inch wheels and tires, it probably would be fine. Did not want to drop dollars on a new set of wheels.

Detroit Eaton Springs, after looking back, do recommend the QA1's - dang it on my part. I will update on the after install.

Thanks!

Eaton Springs says they are the wrong shock for our type of suspension and we should stick with hydraulics- like the QA1's.

Thanks for that laugh. Looks like I'll cross Eaton Springs off my list of knowledgeable people. Does Eaton have a financial stake in QA-1?

Remember, Eaton Springs recomendations are for factory stock suspensions, tires, etc. The original springs were designed with hydraulic shocks to complement the stock springs. Getting too far away from stock configurations is not what Eaton Springs is all about.

Thanks for that laugh. Looks like I'll cross Eaton Springs off my list of knowledgeable people. Does Eaton have a financial stake in QA-1?
Not that I'm aware- would you like to see the video? Eaton didn't mention brand names, but said they should be hydraulic (like QA1) and not gas. The host did mention a couple of brand names. I can probably locate the site if you're interested- I've seen Eaton do a couple of interviews.. Bilstein's are fine for racing, but as Mid mentions above, Eaton does not prefer them for street use with their springs.

Last edited:
Maybe it is a partnership that Eaton Detroit Springs have. The positive side of the thread is, you have the option to adjust the shock, no matter whose adjustable brand you buy, to adjust how you like the ride and handles.

Remember, Eaton Springs recomendations are for factory stock suspensions, tires, etc. The original springs were designed with hydraulic shocks to complement the stock springs. Getting too far away from stock configurations is not what Eaton Springs is all about.

Then Eaton should say that (or Mach). A blanket statement like that never holds water and is bad information.

Mark

Then Eaton should say that (or Mach). A blanket statement like that never holds water and is bad information.

Mark
Here is one video of an interview with the owner of Detroit Eaton Springs. You can judge for yourself if he knows what he is talking about. And apparently they do sell QA1 and other hydraulic shocks. He describes what gas shocks do to the spring rate. In a second interview he talks about leaf springs.

Last edited:
here's another:

All,

I installed the front QA1's yesterday. I have them set to zero. I can tell a nice difference on how the ride is. I watched the video from

Mach1 Driver and the shock rod pressure was like that the video. So, I left them on zero. Now, on to the rear shocks!

1615217089579.png

Back