• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Question for 65 vert power top wiring

OK, so I'm finally on the last stages of a total rewire of my 65 vert. I used a Painless Wiring kit and a RJM harness to hook up an EFI setup. If that wasn't enough.. I moved the solenoid and battery to the trunk and added relays to run the headlights, electric fan and driving lights.

One thing that the Painless Wiring kit didn't replace was provide new wiring for the convertible top. Since I moved the battery and solenoid to the trunk, I didn't really have a convenient place to install the circuit breaker for the top.. so I wired it up to a 30amp fuse instead. It does not have a fuseable link.

It seems to work just fine.. but did I do something stupid by not using a circuit breaker or fuseable link like the factory did?

Thanks in advance,
-Shannon

The only problem I see is IF the top binds to the point of overloading the fuse, you have to replace it vs letting the CB cool down and resetting it. You may need a "slow blow" type fuse so it can take the initial load and the closed load without blowing.

If you HAVE to use a fuse, then I agree with Pete on the Slo blo, but Ford put a breaker in because it self resets, fuses don't. Slo-blo fuses are also made for larger motors where the initial start amperage is high. On the convertible top motor, the motor may lumbar on for quite awhile putting the top up or down, and the initial start amperage is not the problem

They make Circuit Breakers with fuse type terminals so you might be able to get one in pretty easily. I would make the switch regardless, lest you find the need for a fuse replacement on a rainy night! Also, those motors operate at length when the fluid is low or the top binds, so you have more of a chance of straining that fuse!

Thanks guys for the reply. I was wondering what the difference is between a regular fuse and the circuit breakers. Thanks for the education.

I've already found some circuit breakers that fit in my fuse holders.

Thanks again!
-Shannon

Back