• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Question on 69 front end.

Sluggo

John,

I recently replaced everything in the front end of my Mach. This was done in an attempt to eliminate a popping noise.

The pop occurs at random times but I can almost always duplicate it by backing and braking then go forward and touch the brakes and get a pretty solid pop sound. It's not pad knock ( i'm quite familiar with that sound) it seems to be of a more sinister nature. Being the eternal optimist that I am, I'm thinking shock tower crack or something along those lines.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

If everything was replaced and the same noise is there, it must be in the sheet metal. Could be the shock tower or the strut rod mounting point. Most of the braking force goes to the lower arm via the strut rod. The upper arm gets some but not as much so I would look at the strut rod, lower arm and upper arm mounting points to check for cracks. If it's been doing it for a while, some light brown rust dust should be where the crack is.

This may sound odd but if you can make the noise while the car is going slow, you could open the hood, have a friend take a seat in the engine bay and see if they can tell where the noise is coming from.
I'v done it to find noises before and it does work. I usually buy the sucker/ :doh /friend some Pizza and BEER afterwords.

Unfortunately I think you're right. It needed the front end redone anyway. The car actually had all nos new parts on the front end but they were probably done in the eighties sometime so they were still shit. Nice parts tags, but the bushings were rotted out.

I think I'm gonna get a reinforcement kit coming for it , strip the front down and look for problems. I'll try to isolate it prior to coming apart.

I heard somewhere that you can have noises if the upper control arms are over tightened. Any knowledge on that?

"Fast68back" said:
How about I drive the car and YOU sit under the hood?

I was thinkin the other way around. Did you see the part where he said get a sucker to do it?

"Fast68back" said:

I'll wager that if you offer a couple of DDP's, he'll be more than happy to put his ass in the engine compartment while the car is driven a bit...

"Midlife" said:
I'll wager that if you offer a couple of DDP's, he'll be more than happy to put his ass in the engine compartment while the car is driven a bit...

You might have to throw in a Marlboro ultra light menthol and a slice of cheesecake too.

Oh crap...another cheesecake addict! We're too alike one another. I smoke Winstons, however, and hate yeller cars. *G*

"Midlife" said:
Oh crap...another cheesecake addict! We're too alike one another. I smoke Winstons, however, and hate yeller cars. *G*

We're not so much alike then. I hate red 2+2s and guys named Randy.

"Fast68back" said:

I'v done it several times. We"ve even done it with the motor off and the car rolling down hill. And yes, I did fall off once. An extra BEER and one extra piece of Pizza took care of that issue. Well, and a band-aid!

Back