• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

quick alternator ?

Im puttin my battery in the trunk of my mustang usin 1/0 cable. Ive been told to put the solonoid in the trunk as well. So which alternator are you guys usin as an upgrade? I cant see using an alternator with a voltage regulator as I would have to run the other 2 wires from the alt to the trunk too. The 3g's just use a power cable right since the vr is internal? Im planning on usin 2 gauge wire from the alt to a pos terminal with an inline fuse, then run the 1/0 from the term to the solonoid in the trunk, does this sound right?

I'm almost done with my 3g alternator swap and I have the battery and solenoid in the trunk. As for the alternator, you need the original black charge wire,and the yellow wire from the internal regulator plug to go to the charge post (along with the 4ga minimum charge wire going to the trunk). The original black charge wire, at least on my 70, goes to the fuse box and provides juice to a few components (assuming I'm reading my wiring diagram correctly). The other alternative is to leave the original charge wire attached to the starter solenoid and just not hook up the black charge wire to the new alternator. Others correct me if I'm wrong.

You'll need the original green/red wire to splice into the green wire from the internal regulator connector. The remaining white wire goes to the other connector on the alternator. The following Ebay auction may prove handy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270456601715&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

So if I buy a 3g Ill still need a conversion harness? What about those 1 wire alt? Also, where can I get the maga fuse, radio shack?

Ok, so if I install a 3g with an internal reg do I have to splice into any other wires or is th epower wire all I need?

Does this help? http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/classic-tech/21965d1166149617-late-model-alternator-early-harness-3ginstall.jpg

Power wire from the trunk to the alternator charge post, yellow wire from the regulator to the charge post, white wire to the little connector on the alternator (as shown in that ebay auction), and the green wire from the regulator spliced into the red/green wire from your stock harness. You then either need to leave the stock black alternator charge wire on the charge post the the 3g alternator, or run that black wire back to the solenoid to the battery post side.

No you don't need a conversion harness. That ebay auction is handy to think which wire goes where. I didn't have a set of 3g plugs when I got my new alternator, so the price of that connector was pretty cheap and saved me some time.

Back