• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Quick oil filter brand listing

Mach1Mark

Ramrod extraordinaire
Donator
In my attempt to find a short version of the FL-1A, I created a list of same application filter numbers. Feel free to add to it. The application is the Windsor V8 family (i.e. 260/289/302/351W). This list is NOT an endorsement !! Fram filters are NOT on my shopping list. Ever.
Amsoil EaO15
Baldwin B2
Baldwin B2-HPG
Bosch 3500
Denso 150-1004
Donaldson P169071
Donaldson P550008
Fleetguard LF3313
Fleetguard LF3487
Fram HP1
Fram TG8A
Fram PH16 (though shorter)
Fram PH8A
Fram XG8A
K&N HP-3001
MicroGard MGL 51068 (though shorter)
Mobil 1 M1-301EP
Motorcraft FL-1A
Motorcraft FL-300 (though shorter)
Napa 1515
Professional's Choice Q1A
Purolator PremiumPlus L30001
Purolator PureONE PL30001
STP S8A
Supertech ST8A
Wix 51515 (Same as NAPA 1515)

Last edited:
I needed a short filter as well and have been using the Napa Gold 1521. I can't remember if I tried the 1311 but should gives a little more clearance.
Napa Oil filters
FIL1521 (3.79" long)
FIL-1311 (3.37" long)
FIL-1189 (3.89" long)

For a totally non-mustang related project, I am installing a 1970 Ford 170 (i6) into a Case 1830 skidsteer, I needed a shorty filter as the FL1a was about 1/4" too long to get inbetween the oil filter threaded fitting and the fuel tank.
IMG_8604_zpstrwf6iyj.jpg

I use Wix filters myself...

For the benefit of the ignorant (me); what would cause the need for a shorter filter on an old 'stang?

I use Wix filters myself...

For the benefit of the ignorant (me); what would cause the need for a shorter filter on an old 'stang?
What Terry said. I've put a 351W in my '65 coupe. And it fits well with a regular Motorcraft FL-1A filter until I install a turnbuckle to keep the motor in place. Hence the need for a shorter filter. I even have pics on my build thread.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Actual scenarios where this becomes necessary. The turnbuckle would have interfered with the end of the filter and the pressure sensor. Brass fittings are fun!

http://www.stangfix.com/attachments/oil-press-sending-unit-installed-w-filter-jpg.28285/

I realize certain engine swaps will cause you to do "crazy" things like cutting the shock towers out to fit a modular, but the windsors tend to be fairly much the same shape despite the deck height of the 351.
I was thinking maybe it was due to a different power steering setup or sway bar or mustang 2 front end or whatever have you.

What Terry said. I've put a 351W in my '65 coupe. And it fits well with a regular Motorcraft FL-1A filter until I install a turnbuckle to keep the motor in place. Hence the need for a shorter filter. I even have pics on my build thread.

Try the Motorcraft FL-300. IIRC it was used on Tempo's with the 2.3 and has the same thread and gasket diameter as the FL-1/1A but is "stubby".

There are oil cooler adapters that screw onto the oil filter base (like the factory used on police cars) that add enough height to where a regular sized filter no longer fits. So folks interested in using such coolers tend to need either a shorter filter or a filter relocation kit. A shorter filter is surely the simpler solution.

Back