• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Quicktime exhaust cutouts

67kcode

Just wondering if anyone has fitted Quicktime cutouts to a '67 fastback. It looks pretty tight for space and ground clearance so i would like to know if its possible
Thanks

Summit sells at least nine different cutout kits, but I don't recommend them because their instructions say they must be opened and closed every 50 miles or two weeks. Some of these go for $390. The Kindig cutouts have a 4 year warranty, are advertised as maintenance free and cost $450. It sounds like their engineer Will Lockwood did his due diligence on this product.

Or you could buy them from DMH who is the company that actually makes the units marketed by Kindig. The thing Dave's company does do themselves is create the one tough electronic button to open and close. They won't sell that piece though.

I don't care who makes them the design has nothing to do with why many recommend actually using them occasionally. Sitting still and unmoving in the environment with which these dwell will cause sticking problems if not cycled once and a while. Of course, anyone buying these and going through the pain of installation certainly would be the type to crack them open whenever possible!

Or you could buy them from DMH who is the company that actually makes the units marketed by Kindig. The thing Dave's company does do themselves is create the one tough electronic button to open and close. They won't sell that piece though.

I don't care who makes them the design has nothing to do with why many recommend actually using them occasionally. Sitting still and unmoving in the environment with which these dwell will cause sticking problems if not cycled once and a while. Of course, anyone buying these and going through the pain of installation certainly would be the type to crack them open whenever possible!
Good catch Terry. Both sites have the same talking points. And yes Kindig's site does say that they do not sell the electronics. DMH sells in 5 sizes (all round) while Kindig's flap is oval. I've been wondering how sophisticated their electronics are... that is, do they sense increased amps when the motor stalls at each end of its travel and then turn it off, or do they just have a timer? A timer circuit would be simple enough. Whataya think?

I'd use a servo motor myself. Then you could operate the flap on degrees of rotation and be exact every time. Doubt it would cost any more than a simple motor with either current sensing or even mechanical limit switching. However you do it the heat is the challenge. The DMH design goes to great lengths to try and keep the motor from getting too hot without incorporating expensive insulating materials. Seems like a good piece. For a few bucks more you can get the Kindig-it exclusive piece for lower profile needs.
If I were to want such a thing I'd make my own, honestly. Be cheaper and fun challenge. It ain't rocket science!

I'd use a servo motor myself. Then you could operate the flap on degrees of rotation and be exact every time. Doubt it would cost any more than a simple motor with either current sensing or even mechanical limit switching.
Hmm, now there's a thought- tune the noise level to your liking :oops:

Thanks for the heads up everyone, the oval low profile cutouts Dave Kindig has look the way to go for me.
i intend cracking them open all the time so i doubt sticking would be too much of a problem.

Back